Funeral attendance for relatives of ee's

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-12-05 AT 12:42PM (CST)[/font][br][br]When a close relative of the ee dies, (husband, child, mother, father) do you allow co-workers of the ee time off (with pay) to attend the funeral services (assuming it's on a work day? Also is your management staff given time off with pay to attend the services? We have a dilema on this right now. Also, what do you do when an ee themselves die? Are co-workers/management given time off w/pay to attend the services?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In the first instance, no. They must take any available paid time off available to them or attend in a nonpay status. Same with the second scenario - generally management will just send flowers. In the third instance, we have given coworkers of deceased employees time off with pay to attend services. The deceased employee must take time off without pay. x;-)
  • We don't have a policy that addresses this, but in our experience we have had employees attend funerals for co-workers who lost a close relative and haven't required them to use vacation time. Typically it's no longer than an hour two, and we're an administrative/professional work environment so we can be more flexible than probably a mfg company can be.

We haven't had the situation with an employee dying, but I would imagine we would allow time off w/pay to attend the services.
  • We allow (with management discretion based on workload and serving the public) 4 hours off with pay for the funeral of an employee in the same department. In our area, most funerals during the week are scheduled during the late afternoon or evening, so the only ones where this usually comes up is for second shift workers. An exempt manager would, of course, be free to go to the service if he/she saw fit.
  • Hunter do you charge the exempt manager's accrued time bank for the time they spend at the services?
  • They would probably record the time as taken from one of their accruals. As a public employer, my advice is always that our employees and the employer have to be able to account for employees' time. When John Q asks why I was mowing my lawn last Tuesday at 2:00, I want to be able to say that I was taking a vacation day or other accrued time. The public doesn't understand or care that I am an exempt employee and I was negotiating a labor agreement until midnight the last three days. Public accountability trumps everything else.
  • We will pay employees 4 hours to attend the funeral of a close friend (we would count both instances in this category). We try to work out with the department who will attend and who will stay to cover the department - making sure they understand some people have to stay (I sometimes think some don't really want to go anyway, but feel they have to say they want to, so they're happy to stay behind). When ee's die, we have had memorial cards printed for all employees (like the one's you get at a funeral home), and they have a "delegation" selected of who can attend. Usually we have a moment of silence at the same time as the funeral. When our president died, we gave everyone green carnations (he was very Irish) and provided coffee to departments so they could take a morning break together and reflect on memories of him.
  • We allow employees paid time off to attend funeral services of a close relative. Other staff who may want to attend the service in support of their co-worker must use personal/vacation time. The same (using personal/vacation time) would hold true if the funeral was for a deceased coworker.
  • We give 3 days of paid bereavement for immediate relatives such as parents or siblings, and 1 day of paid bereavement for relatives such as aunts and uncles and grandparents. The handbook lists the exact relationships that are covered.
  • We do also allow up to 3 days of bereavement pay for someone to attend the funeral; however, unless there is long distance travel involved the ee is only to take off to attend the funeral If our ee is the designated person for the family to set-up the funeral, then 3 days can be approved. WE DO NOT PAY EMPLOYEES BECAUSE THEIR RELATIVE PASSES. When the Department Head is notified of a death situation the Department head makes sure the concerned ee is informed of the provisions of our policy and what will be the schedule authorized hours out to attend the funeral. We also send flowers on behalf of the comapny and its employees.

PORK
  • We have a bereavement leave policy which does not address this. But, no, hourly employees would not be paid while attending funerals outside the policy. Salaried would and a member of management might attend representing the company. We would not penalize the absence of the hourly worker.

Yesterday I had a production worker tell me he needed to go to Detroit right away since his father-in-law had died. I reminded him that he would have to be married to have a father-in-law. He scratched his head and said, "Oh." Then he thought a while and said, "But, man, we been stayin' together off and on for a looong time."
  • We pay three days for immediate family (spouse, kids), for the ee's parents, siblings, grandparents, the mother/father-in-law, nothing else.

Salaried exempt must show the time to attend a funeral as personal time (even though it does not change their pay), unless they take the entire day, then they must use PTO. Hourly must take as unpaid, unless they take the entire day, then they too may use PTO.