In-house Drug Testing

Does anyone have experience with drug testing in-house with the kits? What kind do you use?

We are starting a pre-employment drug testing policy on July 1. I have received information where you can do drug testing in house for a fraction of the cost. It looks easy, simple, and results are easy to read and hard to tamper with. Kind of like its too good to be true:-). We are considering this for pre-employment drug testing only.

We have a Nursing staff on-site and were thinking of having them adminster the on-site kits, if it comes back positive (which you can find out in minutes) then they would have to go to the emergency room or clinic for a follow up test.

Thanks!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We do not use them, but the temp agency we use does. We always have between 35 and 55 temps working here and frequently I'm told that the temp I had expected will not be here because he failed. They are by far less expensive. I have not heard any negatives about the kits.
  • I can think of one negative and that is they are not DOT approved. If you are performing non-DOT then you may be OK however, how will you determine that the results are not false positive? Will you initially split the sample and send part of it to a MRO for GC/MS confirmation testing?
  • If the kit-test indicates positive, this is only a preliminary result. The individual then has the opportunity to go to a collection site (which is DOT approved) for split sample testing. They tell me that negatives are accurate but sometimes positives are inaccurate. Our experience is that the individual who is offered the retest usually declines and disappears.
  • I have worked for a temp agency that did testing in-house. We would do temps if the client company's required it and would also do their own employees if they asked. No, they aren't DOT tests, but that might not be required. We had two results - negative and "non-negative". If the result was negative, that was the end. But if it was non-negative, it was sealed by the employee (never left their sight until sealed), and FedEx-ed to a testing facility. We would have positive results within 24 hours. It worked pretty well, but there were times I spent all day on drug screening.

The tests we used also could read adulterant - I had someone test positive once not for THC but for some substance that is supposed to make tests not read it.