Was it a trick question?

Interviewing for a payroll clerk.

Had 12 questions - the final one was to calculate a net payroll check.

I gave an hourly rate, number of hours, and federal tax withholding percentage. Just for fun, also had a pre-tax and an after tax deduction. After all of that, asked to compute a net payroll check.

Notice I did not mention FICA and MEDI.

Guess what, not one person remembered to deduct the combined 7.65%.

My wife said it was a trick question. I said yes, but payroll clerks should know this without having the software program to lean on. I was testing not only calculation skills (they had a hand calculator), but knowledge and basically how well they thought through the question.

What do you think? Was it a fair question?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • OK, I know I'm going to probably get creamed for this one, but I agree with you Marc, not a trick question.

I would have, at the very least, asked you if you purposely left out those deductions or did you want me to use them in the calculation.

Gene
  • Nope, it was fair and square. Ditto what Gene said: They should have asked for clarification.

Your wife should see the timekeeping hypothetical that one of our residential supervisors asks of dorm manager applicants. Some candidates have dropped out of the running in despair and horror.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-06-05 AT 06:23AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Fair question, marc. Today there seems to be too much reliance on calculators and software to the point where it's very humorous watching a tech junkie try to do simple math.

Last Sunday morning I went to Panera's to buy bagels. They came to $3.12. I gave the clerk three one dollar bills and a quarter. She stared back at me with an 8' stare in a 6' room look on her face, then stared down into the cash drawer. She finally yelled to a coworker, "What's 25 minus 12?" I ended her nightmare by whispering, "13." And we're supposed be one of the so called "smart states"?

Good luck, marc!!!!!!!
  • What the heck is an 8' stare in a 6' room? Never heard that one before. What was also wrong with her cash register that it didn't calculate the change for her?

Fair question, but instructive about how difficult it is to find good people who can actually think their way through a situation.
  • I’m going to ride the fence on this one. It was both a fair and trick question. With the info you had in the question, giving the answer without deducting the 7.65% would be OK as long as the candidate then stated you forgot to mention FICA and MEDI. The ideal candidate would have pointed that out to you and then give you two answers, one with the info in the question and one with the info that you left out.
  • I'll throw something in here. Isn't boring when everyone agrees????????

Sure, an experienced payroll clerk should have asked if you wanted that also taken out. But I could argue that they were following directions to the letter. Do you want someone to ask questions or follow the process? That is your decision.

I would not disqualify someone that otherwise interviewed well because they could not answer that question the way you wanted it answered. If you hire a good person you can teach them the process.

My payroll clerk is not a MENSA member. She processes the payroll EVERY week, makes very few mistakes and is has good relationships with our people. That is more important to me than figuring out whether I wanted FICA taken out or not.
  • I agree with SMace. If I were taking the test I would wonder if you wanted me to question the FICA calculation or if you wanted to see if I followed the process exactly as you had written it. If you were present during the time when I was taking the test I would ask if you wanted FICA withheld. If you were absent, I would calculate it both ways. But that's just how I would do it.

• Fair or not, everybody missed it, so in a sense you had a wasted question in terms of comparing candidates. I always get concerned over a test question that has a high miss rate, especially 100%. In your case, I would now compare how many got the right answer, minus the missing FICA. Then I would probably revise the question for the future.

Also, while they are in the minority, there are some organizations who do not withhold FICA, and maybe your candidates were more clever than you thought, were fully aware of that possibility, and therefore didn't see anything unusual in your question. Okay, maybe that's a stretch. How about the fear of raising the FICA issue only to have the test administrator sarcastically say, "Does the question ask you to calculate FICA? Can't you follow simple written instructions? Why are you disrupting the test session?"

Besides, Marc, if your wife told you you were wrong, then you were wrong. You know that, especially right before Mother's Day.
  • This is one of the best responses I have ever read.
  • We did go over the test with the candidates. The two candidates who were the overall top choices both groaned and indicated they had simply overlooked that piece, but should not have. I did end up hiring a candidate that got the rest of that question correct.

Anyway, in my relationship with my wife, I always get the last words in our arguements.

They are "Yes dear."