Bad eyesight

Good morning!

We use a program called Credit Soft and the program requires that the computer monitors are set at 1024x768 resolution. (whatever that means)

Anyways, some of our employees state that their screens are blurry based on the new setting. We let a few of them try a screen magnifier and they stated it works for them. We know have 12 other employees stating they want these magnifiers.

My question is since these cost about $200+ a piece should/can we require a doctors note stating that they need this?

Thanking you in advance!

Shelley

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not knowing anything about how a monitor is set, doesn't it make sense for the computer tech to experiment with the settings to see if appearance is enhanced? I'm assuming your tech has already 'conversationed' (George Bush) with the software company.
  • The program that we use for our client database - the "updated" version we purchased requires that the monitors be set to that setting for the program to work. (makes absolutly no sense to me)

So now we have some employees stating it's blurry because the font is so small. Do we have to provide them with magnifiers if they request it?
  • 1024 x 768 is the second largest resolution permitted under Windows. It is not small. Now, having said that, there's a huge difference between 1024 x 768 on a 15 inch CRT (conventional) monitor versus a 20 inch LCD display. Could this perhaps be the real issue? How old are your monitors and what size are they?

What I have found is that older, smaller monitors were not meant to handle the heavy-content of today's software for extended periods of time. I would suggest getting your IT folks involved. It may be time to upgrade technology.

Another angle is that perhaps there are some folks with poor eyesight. Why not take this opportunity to segue into a health fair. Ask your benefits provider to put one on. You can get them to do vision screenings.

Gene

• I use that setting, but on a 17 in monitor. No problems here.
  • You can't expect old equipment to handle a new program (wasn't there a thread in the funny section that warned about this?).

Anyway, we upgrade our computers every 2 years through our national lease account. The new flat screens have several settings that help with fine-tuning colors and sizes.

Cheryl C.
  • I agree - get the techs involved. Surely there is a solution other than buying everyone a $200 magnifier. I would not want to stare at a blurry screen all day, and I would guess that it wouldn't take much for anyone with even good eyesight to get a doctor's note saying that they should not stare at a blurry screen without something to make it better.
  • [h2]I have bad eyes and I always make the text on my computer big. xflash [/h2] I'd go bonkers squinting at tiny print all day. When I recently got a new flat screen monitor, I realized that my old monitor was dull and blurry. The new one is much better, but I'm still going to get a bigger monitor.

The real problem here is the person who bought the software without checking it out thoroughly.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Windows XP has a maginfier program/utility built into it. Of course, if the software doesn't run on WinXP, that's a problem... But there are magnifier utilities out there for free or for purchase (e.g. Iconico's free magnifier). I honestly haven't looked into how these programs work, but I will warn you that all of the ones I've used really pixelate the screen!

-Abby