I'm a HR Mgr who wants to be a Tech!

I've been with a company for nearly 9 years now, holding many "progressively responsible" positions; currently HR Manager for 85 staff members. I didn't choose to be here; it was more like "Oh, Kris can do that!" so I did, learning along the way. Last year we grew enough to be able to hire a Tech, making a department of two. She announced today she's leaving for a better position in 2 weeks.

I'm ready to unload some unwelcome, unwanted HR responsibility. I'll be the first to admit the HR Mgr. position I'm in needs a more experienced, knowledgable person to be effective. People tell me I've done a fantastic job, but I've really struggled along the way. I didn't want to be on the "management track"! I know it might sound strange, but I'd like to internally apply (our protocol) for the open Tech job, then advertise for the Mgr position.

Has anyone been through this scenario before of their own choosing? How did the transition work for you? My boss isn't happy about me wanting to make this change...She likes to be able to walk all over me, I think...

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Even though it is your idea -- I would think it would be a difficult transition to go backwards. Have you considered going back to school and perhaps getting your HR certifications (PHR/SPHR, etc.). Sounds like you may want more knowledge and respect. That is as it should be. You probably know just about all you need to know for the practical HR Manager job -- proper credentials will help your self-esteem if nothing else.

If you insist that you want the Tech (?) role, perhaps going to another company would work better than taking what amounts to a demotion at your current one.
  • First, let me start off by saying that I read your profile and went to your organization's website. People that do what you guys do are angels in disguise.

I commend your desire to find something you're happy in. Talk to your boss. If she's worth a damn she'll support you. If not, it's up to you to be the change agent of your destiny.
  • I don't read you as wanting "HR certifications PHR/SPHR, etc" or particularly wanting to expand your knowledge and 'grow' in the position. And that's fine. What I hear you saying is you're overwhelmed and don't want the level of repsonsibility that comes with that role in the growing organization. That's fine too. Admitting it is great! There's a large difference between saying 'I can't do it' and 'I don't want to do it'. I see you saying the latter. And you're big enough to come out and say it.

I recommend you either tell or write your manager that you have done much soul searching and self-questioning and have reached the decision that the 'directors/managers' job is not what you want and that you will be happier in the assistant role. If she is not receptive to that, start a job search.

One reason she wants you in that role is she's controlling and already figures she can 'walk all over you' and she doesn't want to have to train someone else to be 'walked all over'. Control freaks don't like the 'not in control' prospect of having new subordinates around.
  • Oh Don, thank you...you hit the nail on the head!

We ARE growing; building the very first hospice care in-patient facility in our community within the next year. Everyone else is "so excited" and I'm biting my nails, terrified about having to figure out how to staff it! Those who aren't in HR don't have a clue about what it's gonna take!

It really is for the good of the agency that I want to "step down" from this HR Manager role; I've always wanted the "right people on the bus" and "in the right seats" (If you've read the book "Good to Great" you'll understand.)

I told my boss we need a stronger person than me in the HR Manager position -- one who is able to stand up for effective HR practices...I do have much of the head knowledge, I just can't get other department heads to listen and make the needed changes! Every time I'm sent to an HR conference, I learn valuable things, but the ideas are all pooh-poohed when I try to implement. I'm just tired of hitting my head against a brick wall. I'm just not good at this.

I think my boss will come around. Her initial reaction to things is usually negative. Of course, it's easier for her if I just keep on keepin' on...but again, I'm tired.

Thanks so much for listening...and responding! Any more encouragement that you can give would be very much appreciated! xhugs
  • Good luck in your shift...but unless your superiors support it, you'll probably be made to feel like you failed somehow.

I'd rather see you get more training or get even 2 assistants to help with the workload so you can catch your breath and feel better about your present position.
  • "Management" is not for everyone. I wish more people would be honest about that and not get into or stay in a management position they're not suited for. If you've decided for yourself that its not where you want to be, then tell your manager; be clear about it. Say, I do not want this responsibility any longer and wish to step into the Tech role, with the organization filling the management role. If they're not willing to support that, they're foolish and could potentially lose an excellent HR Tech. Good luck!
  • I completely concur. Your boss isn't thinking this through - she would be in a bad spot to have to fill both positions on her own!
  • Keep in mind that moving down a notch may not prevent your boss from walking all over you anyway. That said, I admire your honesty and self-awareness. One day you may very well come to a point where your training and knowledge will enable you to move forward again. This is not an end, but a means to a beginning.
  • I'll butt in again simply to caution that unless you really like the work, organizational structure (including the supervisor) going backwards may intensify your problems rather than solve them. Please spend some time trying to uncover why you feel being the assistant will be more satisfying than being the manager. How will that change the dynamics in your department. Do that plus and minus thing. Perhaps that will give you some clarity.

While I too commend you for facing this life decision, when I examine the various points in your original query, it does not sound like the solution is accepting a downgrade (which may not really be one in actuality). If you stay at the same company as an HR Assistant, reporting to a new HR Manager who may or may not know more HR stuff, but certainly not more about your company -- which you have helped to grow for nine years, you may feel even more walked upon, as Crout points out.

Either way, I wish you the very best. Life is grand and we grow best by experiencing all parts of it. Be blessed.
  • Good luck, HR Beginner. Before you make the leap, please make sure that the other job is what you really want, and not just a convenient escape.

You might like a book called The Lemming Conspiracy. It's based on the premise that many people end up in careers they don't really choose, but they merely go where they're guided by others.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • I have been involved with employees who "step back" and are very successful and some that aren't. I do think it depends on the individual involved, how the change is communicated and perceived, and the enviornment they work in.
    One situation was the person who "stepped back" still wanted to run the show and this was a mess. New person couldn't do their job.
    Also seen when the supv. basically sabitoged the person and no way it would be successful.
    I admire anyone who realizes that what they are doing isn't what they want to do (either don't like the work, the hours, or the people they work with) and do something about it. I would encourge you to have a very "heavy" talk with your supervisor. Let her know that you want to do the best for the company, her and you. You are there to support her and the new person, you want to make her succeed, but you also need her support so that you too can be successful. Explain to her the type of person you feel needs to be in the HR job and let her know you want to work with her (if she will let you/wants you to) to find the right replacement. Work with her to "make an announcement' to other employees as to why this is happening and that it is at your request, also sit down with her and define exactly what your new responsibilities will be so that you know ahead of time and also that you don't step on any toes and she doesn't dump on you things that should be done by HR (even though you are willing to help.)
    It sounds like HR at this point in your life (or at least this HR job) isn't what you want and where you want to be, no matter how much you learn. I totally understand that because I have been in another field that I hated and cried every night until I got into HR. Be agressive and go after what you want, but be a lady at the same time. (Hard to do in today's world.) Don't make your life miserable because of what others want of you. Life is too short. Have fun while you have a chance.
    Good luck.
    E Wart