cubicles

Hello!

I was wondering if any of you great HR people have an office that has a lot of cubicles. If you have a cubicle environment please let me know if you have any policies concerning what kind of decorations can be in or on the cubicle.

We have a lot of beanie babies, pictures, etc... some are tasteful and then some are not.

Need someone to help ;)

Thanks,
A~

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our work rules contain "Employees shall maintain their respective work areas." If the cubicle is beginning to appear untidy, cluttered, or generally messy, just tell the employee to tidy it up. The things that management deems 'not in good taste' should be put away somewhere else. Just tell them to take it down, remove it, or put it away. It's the company's turf. They have rights too, you know.
  • We have a cubicle environment and remind ees to make sure they observe proper work place etiquette (be mindful of other while on the phone, keep voice level low so you do not disrupt others, no speakerphone usage, etc.). We do not allow candles to be burned do not allow coffee pots, microwaves, refrigerators, etc. due to safety concerns'fire hazards.

We allow ees to decorate their cubicle and it must be contained inside the walls. Anything offensive or questionable will be removed. We also instruct ees to lock their files away each night to protect sensitive materials, and if they have a door to the cubicle, it must also be locked.
  • We have lots of cubes, no policy on decorations, as long as it is Inside the cube. If something offended someone we'd tell them to take it down no matter what.
  • Sam is right on the button. It IS company turf and we get to decide what is okay and what goes. Of course there will be employees that just love to push the envelope. That's where HR experience comes into play. You know somethin like, "Get rid of that crap (or anything else you might want to insert)or it will magically disappear". x;-)
  • You can certainly go to extremes in both directions. We have an insurance company in our area that has a 'clean work area' policy: NO personal items in your work area, and NOTHING on the top of your desk at the end of the workday. Good grief! On the other hand, we have an employee who collects refrigerator magnets - the guy must have a thousand of them in his cubicle - that's way over the top, but we haven't said anything to him; he's away from the public, and other employees bring him back new ones when they travel.
  • HRinFL mentioned something I've never experienced; a cubicle with a door. Wouldn't that actually be an office without a ceiling?
  • I had an office, with a door. But alas, with the new building came a different environment. I have a cubicle, with a door, flimsy as it is. The walls are approximately six feet high, so there is some privacy. The door is there to supposedly help secure the sensitive materials we deal with everyday. However, we quickly learned that if you grab the top of the door and push down before you slide it, the lock disengages and you can waltz right in. Leae it up to HR to figure out how to get past the security measures!
  • When I worked as a paralegal, our headquarters was moved and the unit went from private offices to cubicles. Since AF regulations called for the privacy of lawyers' offices, they installed cubicles with doors and, sure enough, you could get past the door locks just like HRinFL said.
  • Sort of like a convertible. A car without a roof.
  • Hate to call your hand, dear; but, the thing on top of a car is a top, not a roof. You ever hear of a '57 Rag-Roof'? Or at lover's lane, you ever hear anybody say, "Hey Sluggo, Lez pud da 'Roof' down!"
  • We do have a number of cubicle workstations, and we do have a policy!
    I've pasted it below, directly quoting our Personnel Policy Manual... hope this helps.

"Decoration: Staff members may display posters, prints, photographs, and other decorative objects in their work area, provided that all items are tasteful and appropriate for a professional office. Any items that are likely to offend others (including posters or slogans of a sexually suggestive nature, or which tend to demean ethnic or other identity groups) are prohibited. NAFCU may require a staff member to remove personal objects it deems offensive or inappropriate at any time and at its sole discretion."