Employment App or Letter of Interest

I need a reality check.

If you post a job opening internally only (only current employees can apply) would you require them to complete an employment application or would some type of letter of interest be sufficient?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well, the place I work has never been accused of bearing any resemblance to reality; nevertheless, we use a brief (one page) "Internal Application" to ensure some uniformity and relevance of the information provided without making the ee start from scratch.
  • It depends on what your intent is. If all you want is a useless list of people who might have an interest, all they need to submit is their name. But, if you want something to work from, in order to assist in filling the position, it would seem to me, at minimum, you need an updated application and a resume and a cover letter stating what they think qualifies them and why they desire the position. Put as much of this on their backs as possible; it will make selection much easier.
  • We require that they have a current application on file...it's good for one-year...then they must complete the "job posting" form, which is just a short paper detailing why they are qualified for the posted position.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-27-05 AT 03:25PM (CST)[/font][br][br]We also have an internal application to apply for positions posted in-house........
  • We insist on a new application (updated to include the currently held position) and a letter of interest outlining why they want the new job and how they qualify for it.

You would be surprised what having to complete a new application turns up sometimes!

We do like to promote from within -- but my experience has been that if a current employee qualifies truly, they have been suggested for the position already, and we do a promotion rather than go thru the recruitment process. If a current employee does apply for a posted vacancy, we interview and consider them first.
  • We have a lot of intra-company transfers and we created a form that the employee must fill out. The back of the form must be filled out by the employee's present supervisor, answering specific questions about the employee's work and work habits (the supervisor then sends the form directly to Human Resources so the employee does not see his/her comments). If you would like me to email you a copy of this form, I will be glad to. Just give me your email address.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-04-05 AT 11:35AM (CST)[/font][br][br]twocher, could you please e-mail it to me? I have been researching this, and I get a lot of "we have them fill out a form", but nothing about what questions the form has them answer. If anyone else would like to weigh in on this, I'd appreciate it. My e-mail is [email]lkuehn@rpm-composites.com[/email]. Thank you!

Edit: after digging a little deeper and more creatively, I found the link in the archives to Dianna's form posted on this site. And a few questions people use, but I'm still looking for a wider variety.
  • I just emailed it to you. Hope it will help - it works out very well for us. Jill (not really Toocher tho that is cute)
  • We ask our internal applicants to submit a resume for consideration of an internally posted opening. The resume requirement means that they must spend some time updating their old resume and put some effort into "selling" themselves. I never considered having employees complete a new employment application for an internal posting - for some reason that seems odd to me.