EE lied on application

Just found out a relatively new ee lied on their application regarding a felony conviction. How do I know this, you ask? The parole officer came by yesterday to verify employment. He stated it was a felony conviction related to drugs. Do I need to do any further research before letting this employee go? We plan to tell him what happened and how we found out.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • does your application state that falsifying any information is grounds for immediate termination?

If so, you should be in good shape.

I am sort of surprised that the PO released specifics to you though. Not that it would have mattered, a lie is a lie.

• Do a criminal background check. Bring the employee in and ask for explanation. Have your termination letter in hand. It's not rocket science.
  • I realize it is not rocket science, thank you. Just checking if there was any other steps needed before we term. I did not realize the PO would be so forthcoming with the nature of crime, so thanks for the info MARC. And yes, application states falsifying info can lead to discharge.
  • It is my understanding that one of the usual provisions of a parole or probation, both of which are assigned to a parole officer, is the offender is required to disclose his/her conviction and the crime to the employer.

When the PO visits the workplace, that is one of the usual questions the PO will ask of the employer.
  • It's not mandatory that probation will require you to advise your employer. It is mandatory if you are driving or dealing with money. Often the PO will NOT require it if you check on the form that you may be fired if it is revealed.

If I had the information directly from the PO, I would terminate for falsification. I would not pay for a criminal background check. You can't get it any more first hand and accurate than from a PO.
  • That explains it. The experience I had was with a person involved in financial transactions. Not cash directly, but a related enough position, apparently, to generate the requirement.
  • HRinGA: "Recent employee" with less than 60 days, I believe I would with hold my trump cards and terminate with "no explanation other than we are not comfortable that our relationship is going to work out for the long haul, therefore, we are letting you go now". Here is your finale pay check and a no trespass letter.

Good luck!

PORK
  • PORK: You mentioned a "no tresspass letter" in your response. Could you be more specific? This sounds like something I need to have.

Linda