Timeclock chaos

I am being told by our OSHA/safety trainer that we can be held accountable if in an emergency we can not provide an accurate head count of the employees in the building. I sent out a memo and asked that ALL employees clock out when they are not on the premises and suddenly I have opened Pandoras box. The exempt employees think we are clock watching them and they are throwing a fit. All I'm trying to do is keep an accurate head count and have explained that to them. With over 150 employees in the building the time clock seemed the best answer. All front office exempt employees have the timeclock on their PC. So far I've stood my ground but can feel a tidal wave coming. Is what our trainer saying correct and am I jeopardizing exempt status by making them account for their whereabouts?

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-20-05 AT 12:44PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I've never heard of it and have never had to account for my whereabouts due to OSHA. However, I don't know anything about Texas and perhaps it's something specific to that state. Why not pick up the phone and contact your local OSHA rep.

edit:
    p.s. you are not jeopardizing exempt status if you track exempt employees' time in the building. You are ok as long as you are not basing pay on the hours worked that you are tracking.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-20-05 AT 12:48PM (CST)[/font][br][br]You may want to go to the OSHA web site and look at 1910.38(a)(2)(iii), it would seem that is what your safety trainer is addressing.

[url]http://www.dol.gov/dol/compliance/comp-osha.htm[/url]
  • You are required to have, among other things, clearly marked and communicated evacuation procedures, alarm notification and routes. Also, you are required to have a clearly defined procedure to account for all employees after evacuation.

But, I think he's on the wrong track if he suggested the time clock method. First, you more than likely will not be near a computer after the emergency and won't be able to get at the information and secondly, the power is going to be off more than likely and the information would not be at your disposal even if you could get to the computer.

Most systems have in place a clear designation of zone captains or whatever you want to call them who are responsible for head counts at specific locations. Assembly at specific locations during and after the emergency UNTIL RELEASED BY THE CAPTAIN, is essential to the accuracy of headcounts. In order for any of it to work, you have to plan, publish and practice. When everybody becomes the quarterback, nothing works and a headcount nor anything else will be possible.
  • Thanks Don. We have in place everything you suggested. Actually the time clock was my idea. I am at my desk most of the day and have easy access to see who's here or not on the timeclock. What about infringing on the exempt status by having them clock out when not in the building?
  • There's nothing in the law that would prohibit that if you have a business reason, other than tracking hours so you can deduct, to do that.

But, you are not going to have a peaceful disaster during which you can calmly bring up a screen to tell someone who is in the building or punched out. In fact, OSHA would criticize such a disaster plan were you to have that as your plan.
  • Thanks for your help. Back to square one.
  • Don is as usual "right on" with the very words that we all wish that we had the experience and wisdom to store. What size straw hat does wear? About a 6 gallon.

It is in the emergency plans requirement for fire, tornadossssss, hurricanesssss, and the likes. There is gathering place and a head count required. As Don stated you can not count on the time clock in an emergency even if your power remained on. A quick exit does not mean chaos at the time clock, before I get to jump into the ditch or where ever to save my "Hind Quarter"!

PORK
  • As part of our evacuation plan, the mgrs must account for all their people at the gathering place. We also require all visitors and contractors to sign in at reception and indicate who they are visiting. The receptionist takes the clipboard with those sign-ins with her so we can also account for any contractors or visitors who happened to be in the building. We also make those 'visitors' wear dorky badges so they are easy to spot and herd toward an exit, if the need arises.
  • Great idea about having the receptionist take the clipboard out of the building with her! We'll implement that one.
  • We have implemented all that. Our captains use walkie talkies to communicate with each other from the rally points. Once again though I'm back to tracking all employees that should be in the building at any one time (if not by using the time clock.) Any suggestions?
  • Karen: ARE YOU NOT CONVINCED YET THAT A TIME CLOCK WILL NOT WORK FOR THIS PURPOSE? I think you are having an internal battle with exempts, trying to control their movement and track them and it's a battle between you and them. I think it has nothing to do with emergency situations. Tell me if I am wrong.
  • You're wrong. And you're right. Exempts are getting defensive but believe me when I say my heart is in the right place. If we have to "track" exempts then we have a more serious problem that needs addressed. Which we aren't, so we don't. I keep a current list of staff handy that I could grab on the way out the door. Is that sufficient? (I've given up on the time clock)
  • We do not require any type of time clock tracking for our exempt level employees and we employ the sign-in sheet for any visitors. This is kept at the reception desk and they are required to sign in before they are permitted entry into the building and they are provided big green badges as well.

As for tracking who is in the facility and when, all exempts are required to notify the receptionist when they leave the building or if they are not going to be in the office for the day. This list is kept right at the receptionist desk as well. The employees are not required to say WHY they won't be in, although most do and we don't have any problems with compliance.
  • Good idea. I'm also mulling over using the calendar in Outlook.
  • I can see it now. Rent a generator and hook it to your computer so you can bring up the outlook calendar and tell the emergency first responders who is in the building. But hurry; the wall to the east of the computer is burned through and it's a support wall handling the full weight of the ceiling and second story right above your computer.

Suddenly this has become a Dilbert cartoon. Thanks for letting me be in it. x:-)
  • I love the generator idea. Hmmm I bet I can get one at Harbor Freight pretty cheap. Thanks for all your ideas and help and even a laugh (albeit at my expense.) Now I'm off to buy a wireless laptop.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-21-05 AT 10:40AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Wow! All this commotion....

Technology is great but there are times when you need to rely on manual systems. In our emergency procedures we describe the use of a Buddy List. This list is posted in 8 different areas of our company. The "Captains" know to grab the list and run to their particular meeting area. Each group of buddies, no more than 5, know to look for one another and would also know if one of them is out of the building or absent for the day. THey assemble in their meeting area and the Captain checks them off on his list. Viola! All heads are counted.

The Buddy List is kept up to date on a monthly basis, more frequently if you have turnover or additions to staff.

Oh, the Buddy List can be on the computer.
  • I like your 'Biddy List' butter/better. I have an old biddy list on my computer at home. x:-)
  • Don, are you good or what. I thought I had edited it before anyone saw it.

Oh, am I on your old biddy list, Buttercup?