Employee Directory - Legal?

One of our managers remarked recently that it would be nice to have an employee directory since our once small-sized company is now growing rapidly. She was thinking the directory could include coworkers' hobbies, anniversary dates, children's names, etc.

Obviously, publishing some of this information would be a serious violation of some employment laws. However, if our company made participation in such a directory optional, do you think it would be ok (legal)?

Comments

• 34 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Why not, as long as you don't include home phone, address, SS#'s, or DoB's? Its voluntary and a good way for your workforce to get to know one another. Its a nice personal touch.
  • KDSPA; You may get some useful help from the forum, but I recommend you run this one by your retained attorney and get his legal opinion. We have done away with all information previously published; if it did not have any relationship to the business the item was canned. This was at the advise of our legal counsel, I thought it was a bunch of "hooie" from our attorney, so that he could turn his "sand clock" over and watch the peebles go down the funnel. Guess what, it dropped a lot of headache and maintenance surrounding these published rosters and social things like calendars, birthdays, telephone roster changes so everyone can know the home phone numbers of other employees so if they needed a ride!!!! We now have a roster with management and key employee numbers, cell phones, pagers on the roster. It is still a headache to keep up-dated but it is definately a good document. I have one at my desk, in my car, and in my home and I use them daily.

PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-18-05 AT 08:18PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-18-05 AT 05:41 PM (CST)[/font]

Unfortunately, due to the litigious environment facing most employers today, my answer is no. We ask employees to come to work and leave personal agenda at home, now we want to compile it in this neat little memento and dsitribute it? I don't think so.

The same employee who today agrees to have his or her info published will be the same one who tomorrow will claim you made it mandatory and is now suing you for who knows what.

If employees want to form social clubs and exchange information, let them do it on their own time, but for goodness sakes please don't sanction, endorse or contribute to this activity.

Gene

P.S. Unfortunately we live in a world were we must safeguard this sort of information from sick, derranged and shady folks. I've known several characters over the years who would have found great pleasure in learning about your wife's hobbies or perhaps your teenage daughter's name and birthday.
  • Although I am aware of no employment law violations from having such a directory, I think the person who suggested it really should find another diversion. If that person wants information relative to co-worker hobbies, employment and other anniversaries, family members, blood type, favorite sports, sexual habits, exercise activities, presence of warts and family trees, then he/she should attempt to gather all of that on his/her own time. It should not be a company objective or activity.
  • I'm curious to know what employmentlaw violations anyone sees in this - acknowliging the need for confidentiality of ss#s and med info?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-19-05 AT 07:13AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Only HR has access to ee's home addresses, telephone numbers, and other personal information. We determined several years ago that given the risks of stalking and other situations that could occur if ee's had access to personal information, it could increase company liability-should anything happen. The last thing we want to hear is "oh, I got your address from that list posted at work"

If a supervisor needs to contact an ee at home, the call is placed through HR, similarly with cards, e will take the card from the well-wishers and send it in a company envelope.

*edit* I'm sure that ee's give out their personal information to other ee's...but we prefer to allow the ee to make that personal choice.
  • I don't think any laws are violated. Talking from experience, many years ago some employees decided it would be a brilliant idea to get the name and address, and names of family members, in order to create a Christmas card list. They tried to do it during lunch and before the start of the work day. They were amazed at how many employees told them it was none of their business. As a result, there never was a list.
  • We do not publish and update an employee directory, but each month in our company newsletter I print a paragraph about the new employees. At orientation I tell each new employee that I publish information about them in the newsletter and I ask them questions such as: where did you grow up, schools attended, spouse's name & occupation, children's names & ages, and general hobbies. Before asking the questions I tell them that if there is any information they do not wish to have printed just to say so, I am not out to embarrass anyone, and it is certainly not mandatory that this information be printed. After I write up the info, I have them sign the form saying that it is ok to print this in the company newsletter. I have never had anyone refuse to have their information printed.

We have just over 150 employees and this is a nice way for everyone to get to know the new employees. I hear plenty of nice comments about it and it really isn't that much work to do it this way - no updates.
  • No laws would be violated, BUT just who would compile this information and keep it updated? This is not something I would recommend. Now a company newsletter might be a better option.
  • An employee directory is a great idea, provided that it only contains information relative to positions within the company. You should never include personal information of any sort. It is not a company function to foster personal relationships.
  • Seems like we have covered both ends of the spectrum and all between. I can see it now. My daughter is finishing up a masters and got a job offer yesterday. This goes out to all employees in the school system where she'll work, all 800 or so of them: So and So has been selected for the counselor's position at XYZ school for next year. She's 20-whatever, a recent graduate of ABC, unmarried, in BLR Apartment Complex in the AAA community. Her hobbies include sunbathing, shopping at the mall and waxing her Mazeratti. Her parents (including her mean-assed dad) live 180 miles away.

Hmmm.
  • Don, look at it this way, she's going to be earning a pay check and the dole is soon over. Further, I cannot consider you "her mean-assed dad". After all, you did buy her the Mazeratti. x:P
  • Thanks everyone for your feedback!

As a clarification, we already have a "roster" of employee home phone numbers (which is optional). We are a small family-owned company (less than 50 employees) but as I said, rapidly growing. The directory suggested by the manager would absolutely not include address, medical, or social security information. I believe her ideas were more along the lines of the items I listed in my post (i.e., hobbies, birthdays, anniversaries, children's names, etc) rather than some of the more peculiar ideas that have evolved in the forum (blood type, sexual habits, complete addresses, children’s occupations, etc).

All that said, I am concerned that the extremely litigious world we live in could make something potentially enjoyable like this far more of a liability than an asset. Again, my original thought was that making it optional would eliminate (or at least mitigate) the legal risk. You have all certainly given me some good ideas to think about and present to legal counsel.

Thanks!
  • One company I worked for (a large law firm) had a directory of all employees - first section was attorneys, second was staff. Each entry included a picture, name, birthdate (minus the year) and specialty or department. It was an extremely handy guide to have when you are in a firm that has 150 attorneys and 400 support staff.

Glad I didn't have the job of updating it, though. At the same company, we also ran a picture and paragraph about all new employees in our weekly newsletter.

No one seemed to object to either of these.
  • No to this, although it doesn't violate any law that I know about. I do know of a situation where information contained in such a directory, led to the stalking of an employee when the information got outside of the company to the employee's ex.

That's the worst possible outcome. An internal problem is that some will not want to "featured", leading to speculation from others about why not.

It isn't worth it.
  • We have an ee roster that lists name, address and phone number. When ee's are hired they are asked to sign a waiver stating that it is ok to post their information.
  • Not to belabor the point; but, why do you want to be in a position of posting employee addresses if that information serves no business purpose? Is it really anybody's business how to find my residence? If I were a new employee at your organization, I would not feel particularly comfortable declining. Why force that discomfort with new employees?
  • It is strictly voluntary. No ill will if you choose not to sign the waiver. We are a fire dept and the ff's use the information primarily for shift trades. To be honest, I don't know why the addresses are published. I personally do not have my info on it. The only thing listed for me is my work cell phone number. But the list includes both paid ee's and volunteer's. I don't necessarily agree with the roster, but I do follow my er's wishes.
  • If I assumed, rightfully or wrongfully, that in order to have a job I had to sign a waiver giving access to my address and phone number (which may be unlisted) to people I don't even know, I would probably sign but I would start the job a somewhat resentful employee.
    Explain to me why it is so important to have an employer roster.
  • Other than Christmas cards (Wait! They're seasonal cards) and assisting the workforce in building social registers, I will have to wait and see the response to know if there is perhaps another purpose in the 'Company Employee Roster'.
  • I don't agree that it is "so" important. I just do what my er wants me to do. I specifically tell ee's it is voluntary and even mention that I chose not to have my information published and that I was not looked upon differently by my er.
  • Mary; I understand your dilemma; however, in my opinion, part of your duty is to advise your employer of the pitfalls and potential liability and reasons for NOT doing some of the things he wants done. If we simply 'do what out er wants', we are robots.
  • Don, you are right and I agree. I have advised my er of my concerns with the roster being posted for everyone to see. I have even suggested taking off the addresses and leaving on only phone numbers (only if ee agrees). Our attorney's don't have an issue with it as long as the ee signs the form so it continues to be done. I have a memo stating my concerns, with a handwritten note from my boss stating that we will continue to post it. I feel as if I have done all I can do in the situation.
  • Apart from the pitfalls that others have mentioned, I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving out employees' kids' names, lest my workplace be unwittingly harboring a pedophile who would approach a kid with "You don't know me, but -- hey -- I work with your daddy so it's okay!" Also, hobbies are a danger zone, since they may relate to religion or other protected activities.

You even have to be careful about birthdays without year of birth. Jehovah's Witnesses (and maybe other faiths, I don't know) don't celebrate birthdays and don't care to have people acknowledge them.

The bottom line seems to be: Too much trouble and too much risk with no business purpose. Let ee's exchange this info among themselves if they wish.
  • I'm glad to know no one esle sees any employment law problems with this - althoughI agree there are many, man y reasons NOT to do it. It points up, again, that HR has a helluva lot more concerns than finding out 'whether it's legal." Legal or not, it's often our discretion that keeps our Er out of trouble. Also, another reason this forum is so helpful: experience matters!
  • What a shame that the climate of fear immobilizes and stifles. We spend way too much energy "fearing" something might be illegal, or might offend someone, or might arouse pedophiles, or might do this or might do this. What if you do absolutely everything right and live by what ifs and it happens anyway! WHAT IF, for one day, we did something as innocuous as publish an employee directory that included "Suzy Q works in the purchasing department, joined Company X in March 1960, has 3 kids, 14 grandkids, two dogs, loves to fish from the shores of Daytona Beach, and celebrates her birthday on January 1 each year" (notice no personal identifying information like address, phone, SS#, or children's names), allow one or two employees (either inside or outside of HR) who enjoy doing this sort of thing gain some intrinsic rewards from putting it together, and low and belold, WHAT IF employees have fun (heaven forbid!) getting to know their coworkers as "people", and ooh, ooh, WHAT IF nobody gets offended or sues the company!

In answer to your original question, as long as you do not include personal, identifying information, and the employees participate voluntarily, it would not, in and of itself, violate any laws. Keep it generic. You know you're workforce better than we do. If you think you've got stalkers, pedophiles, and litigious personnel that a simple little thing like a directory might possibly send off the deep end, then by all means don't do it. Otherwise, it MIGHT BE fun; MIGHT promote morale; MIGHT reinforce your team!

• dchr9203, wouldn't that be nice? That is the climate we try to have at our company. We don't have a directory, but we do have an employee newsletter where employees can share personal stories, photos, etc. if they'd like to.

Regarding addresses, I wouldn't want mine published. As HR manager, I do terminate employees, and I wouldn't want them knowing where I live, if you know what I mean!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-20-05 AT 11:17AM (CST)[/font][br][br]dchr:
    Ah, wouldn't your world be nice to have. Could you answer one teeny, weeny question for me. Why is your profile diabled?

It MIGHT be fun to know if you are female or male
    It MIGHT be nice to refer to you by your first name.
    It MIGHT help us know you a itsy, bitsy better.
  • Thanks for your response. I've received plenty of cautionary remarks (which I truly do appreciate), but few others who have posted comments seem to acknowledge that the potential of boosting employee morale and engendering good relationships among co-workers is valuable.

I realize, as Crout said, that we get paid to think about the "What If's." That's why I posted this question in the first place. We need to make decisions that both protect our employers and benefit our employees - to my disappointment, these two objectives are too frequently polar opposites. Isn't it unfortunate that we live in a climate where litigation and worry restrain employers from doing things that would make work that much more enjoyable for employees? I guess that's just the world we live in...
  • I, for one, am not fearful. I am careful. And I get paid to think about the "what if's."