Random Drug Tests

We have employees whose jobs necessitate driving with a CDL. All of these employees are subject to random drug and alcohol testing. We also have two employees who dispatch the drivers to various job sites. Are the dispatchers also subject to random testing?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • HMPL: Welcome to the forum. Our dispatchers are also Class A drivers and are subject to the driving condition thus they are also included in the random testing group. I have three other drivers that are employed elsewhere with Class A license, we maintain their status as a Class A driver for emergency situations and they are included in the random group for testing.

PORK
  • HMPL, the federal DOT regulations require the random testing for your CDL drivers but does not require the same for dispatchers who aren't drivers. Some employers in your situation do test dispatchers because they are considered in safety sensitive jobs, as are truck mechanics and guys on the fuel island. I was with a large refrigerated trucking company for just under six years and we did not random anybody but drivers. It's basically up to your company to decide on a random policy for non-driving employees.
  • When I worked in dispatch many years ago, we were randomly tested for drugs and alcohol because we were in the transportation inducsrty. This may be something that is state specific, so I would contact your DOT department for clarification.