Forcing Overtime

Maybe this should go in "Wage and Hour" but it seemed more appropriate here.

We have some exempt and non exempt clinical staff. The exempt clinicians (titled as Program Managers) position descriptions stated that they had to take turns providing coverage when short staffed (even if it meant working over 40 hours a week). They get paid in a higher range than the non exempt. This has worked fine.

Now our CEO wants all our clinicians to be non-exempt with no manager title...everyone on the same level. No one's pay will be lowered but they will move to a lower range. So far so good. However, we want the clinicians who have been required to cover shifts in emergencies (former Program Managers) to continue to have that requirement in their position descriptions. Of course we will pay them overtime.

Since it was always an expectation of their job, we see no problem with continuing to make it a requirement that we can force OT (heck they're getting paid for it now). Are we OK so far?

Second part of the question though...the CEO wants all clinicians to all have the same position description. We actually don't even intend to require forced OT of those who previously did not have to do OT; but it would have to be in their position description if everyone has the same one. Can we add that requirement to a position description once someone is already on board?

Thanks!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am a little confused on the actual duties of your clinicians. If everyone is doing the same job, why wouldn't everyone be occasionally required to work the OT to cover?

To answer your second question, you can revise job descriptions as needed for your company. So you are fine there.

It seems to me that you need to decide if everyone is indeed performing the same duties. If so, I'd set up a rotating schedule for the OT (whose turn is it this time?). If not, leave them in two catagories.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
  • I didn't mention that the newly non exempt (previous Program managers) had different (higher level) duties than the other clinicians - besides being expected to cover for emergencies.

I guess I'm answering my own question now...I mean as far as them having the same position descriptions. I just don't see how we can do that.
  • The quick answer is yes, you can change job descriptions, including mandatory o/t, even for those who have not previously had to do the o/t. Whether you utilize it or not is entirely up to you - but if all are capable of providing the services required in the o/t, you will probably soon have complaints about uneven distribution of the o/t. Take volunteer first, then assign when necessary.
  • Thanks. I love this forum. You guys are great. So glad I joined!
  • PS - your people will probably be split into two groups. One will be PO'ed that you are MAKING them work OT, the other will be PO'ed that they don't get more (they like the bucks). Just shake your head and marvel at the differences in people.

On a personal note, our furor over cutting people's hours from 45-50 hours to 40 hours (4-10s) is dying down, but I anticipate once the first couple of paychecks hit, we'll have a few more part ways. Especially since they'll now have Fridays off to look for another job. Too bad we in the office don't get Fridays off!