Cross Dressing at Work

Does anyone have any experience with an employee cross dresing at work (I'm serious). We have an employee who is a new hire and slowly unveiling his likes and dislikes to our staff. He was recently seen cross dressing in public. He is also inviting staff to go and see him perform in an all male, Female Star, review. I think that cross dressing is a protected activity, but we have a somewhat conservative culture when it comes to dress code. Any help or guidance here would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-31-05 AT 11:05AM (CST)[/font][br][br]When you say you have a conservative culture when it comes to dress code, just what is your dress code? Do you specify what is acceptable for the sexes? Our dress code addresses proper attire for women (briefly): dresses, skirts and blouses, slacks and blouses/sweaters are acceptable for women to work in the office. For men: Inside office personnel can wear casual pants (Dockers, etc.) and shirts/sweaters. Some are allowed to wear blue jeans depending on job they are doing. Men working outside wear jeans, uniform shirts, and proper safety equipment. If a man shows up to work in a skirt and blouse he would be sent home to change. Likewise, if a woman employee shows up for work wearing men's attire, she would be sent home. I think you need a policy that spells it out.

Sorry--I re-read your post. How employees dress on their own time away from the company is their business. He can wear a pink tutu to the mall, and it is none of our business.
  • We do have a specific policy that is distinguished by gender. Just wondering if this is a protected activity with regard to discrimination.
  • I don't think it's protected activity. Now, if the person is dressing/acting as a woman in preparation for gender reassignment surgery, I think that would be a different matter. I'm sure a lawyer will pipe in on this, but as I read it he's a man who just prefers dressing as a woman. Since your policy outlines dress code that's gender specific, I would think you could tell him he can't wear dresses in the office because he's a man.

Just my opinion.
  • It isn't a protected classification based on federal regulations, but check your state regs.
  • I am sure it is a protected in Vermont, Massachusetts and Mexifornia and one or two others, maybe yours. But, in a vast majority of the states, it is NOT a protected activity. At some places of employment this behavior could arguably be construed as damaging to the reputation of the company, just as a DUI or painting the house neon pink could be.

In most states you could successfully fire this person unless it could be shown convincingly to a jury or the EEOC that you terminated for legitimately protected status (age, race, sex, religion, disability).

Typically you could act on this the same as you would if you had an employee who appeared as a punchinello on a street corner every Saturday morning from 8:00 till 1:00.
  • Thanks for you advise - I'll certainly post when and IF he/she makes an appearance. But Don, what is a punchinello? I've never heard of the term and I'm a bit hesitant to ask.....
  • The newer versions of Webster's even have pictures of them beside the definition. It's safe to discuss but not safe to be one.
  • About a year and half ago, the HR Magazine put out by SHRM showcased a story about a truck driver from, I believe, Louisiana. He was a cross dresser on his own time, but the company fired him anyway. He sued, but didn't get anywhere. The company, as I remember, suffered some rather harsh public opinion for reaching a little too far into the private life of an employee.
  • I do remember that story, but I've disccarded the article.
  • The article had to do with his time not company time. You can request a copy of the article through SHRM's technical assistance -- check their website.
  • Yet the company prevailed, as I recall.
  • The company may have prevailed, but at what cost? Besides the legal fees, wasted time, etc., what difference could it make to the company what he is wearing on his own time. I still say, if it isn't job related, don't go there.
    Linda
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-31-05 AT 04:15PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-31-05 AT 04:12 PM (CST)[/font]

I knew some day my SHRM membership would get me more than a cup of Joe. But I'm still waiting on PHR/SPHR-only bennies :):

By all accounts, Peter Oiler was a competent truck driver with a 20-year record of exemplary service at Winn-Dixie Stores Inc. He showed up on time, performed his duties well and caused no problems while on the job. But it was his off-the-job behavior—cross dressing—that ultimately got him fired in January 2000. The 47-year-old resident of Avondale, La., likes to wear women’s clothing, accessories, makeup, wigs and fake breasts. He usually adopts the persona of “Donna” at home but sometimes goes out with his wife and friends to restaurants, the shopping mall and church. Upon learning of his non-mainstream activities, Winn-Dixie terminated Oiler. The company’s managers said their customers might shop elsewhere if they recognized “Donna” in public as a company employee, court records show. “His activity could harm the company image,” Oiler’s supervisor said, according to the complaint Oiler filed in federal court. But Oiler says he had no contact with shoppers, and he sued Winn-Dixie for sex discrimination, alleging the company fired him because he did not conform to the gender stereotype of a man.

“Everyone agrees he was not terminated for anything related to his job performance,” says Ken Choe, an American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) attorney based in New York who represented Oiler. “All of the cross-dressing behavior occurred off the job,” and Oiler never violated Winn-Dixie’s dress code, Choe adds.

Mickey Clerc, vice president of public relations for Winn-Dixie, a Jacksonville, Fla.-based company that operates supermarkets in 14 states, would not comment on the case.

The company prevailed in September, when a federal judge in New Orleans ruled that federal and state laws prohibiting sex discrimination do not apply to “transgendered” people—those whose gender identity does not consistently match their biological sex.

While Winn-Dixie won in a court of law, the company may have lost ground in the court of public and employee opinion. The case generated a lot of media coverage; it also generated sympathy among Oiler’s closest co-workers.

“Quite a few people told me, ‘You’re not hurting anybody. You do your job extremely well. How can they do this?’” says Oiler, who decided not to appeal and now drives trucks for a Texas-based pet-supply company.

“The common theme [among former co-workers] was, ‘If they can get away with this, what can they do to me?’” he says. “It’s got a lot of people saying, ‘Where’s the limit?’”
    Oiler’s case shows some of the difficulties companies may face when dealing with termination for off-duty conduct. Lawsuits from ex-employees, negative publicity, low morale and related turnover are among the potential results when employees are fired for off-the-job behavior.

Yet, on the other hand, employers also shouldn’t keep employees whose after-work activities affect their performance on the job, hurt staff morale or damage the company’s image.

So what’s an HR professional to do?

In such situations, HR must walk a fine line—one that varies with the facts in each specific case. Writing universal policies that govern all “questionable” off-duty behaviors is impractical and could be perceived as Big Brother-ish by employees.

“If you try to have a black-and-white policy, you’ll be second-guessing it and harming good people,” says Mary C. Cheddie, SPHR, vice president of HR at Orvis Co. in Manchester, Vt., and a member of the SHRM Board of Directors. “It’s not a textbook science. It’s a case-by-case situation where you have to access as many facts as you can.”

Ultimately, when deciding whether to terminate employees for off-duty behavior, HR professionals will need to ask, and answer, two important questions:

* Are there any special legal factors at issue in this case?
    * What effect, if any, does the off-duty behavior have on the employee’s job performance, the workplace or the company’s image?

The more off-duty behavior negatively affects workplace performance or the business as a whole, the more valid termination becomes as an option—provided no special legal protection exists.
  • You've gotta be pricking us with that. Are you sure this guy's name is Peter Oiler? Reminds me of the Democrat who asked Russert one Sunday on Meet The Press, "Who would trust a guy named Dick Army?"
  • Holy Toledo! I just realized that! Yes, it is, according to the SHRM website.