Disability

My Good people,
We hired a lady with disability. She has a walker but she chooses not to use it. She keeps on fallen all over the office. As an employer, could we demand that she uses her walker? Could we be breaking the ADA law? Or what kind of employment law could we be breaking? Please help.
Thanks

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes. No. None.

If you have an employee falling all over the office it is a safety issue. ADA issues arise out of conditions/illnesses that limit a major life function -- which may or may not apply here. Has the employee told you about a disability and if so, has a discussion been held about what kind of accommodation is needed in order for her to accomplish her job?

I believe in your situation the supervisor (or you) should speak with the employee about the behavior (ie., falling down) and if the use of a walker would prevent her from falling all over the place insist that she use it in the workplace.
  • you may also approach it from a "fitness" for duty angle.

Those that are fit for duty do not fall down repeatedly. If the walker makes this person better able to perform her job..then she should use it.

She may feel that a stigma is attached to using the walker, or perhaps there are obstacles that those of us without walkers don't readily see..she may just need an open forum to share her concerns with you.

• As an employer who services persons with disabilities I know there are several barriers for using walkers. Go thru your worksite with her and allow her to discuss these barriers with you... there may be a rug that doesn't need to be there or an area that may have to be organized differently for effective walker "turn around".