Veteran Preference - Public Employment

I am trying to get down to the bottom of veteran hiring preference in regard to public employment. My boss has asked me if our job applications need to specifically ask if they are a veteran; where as now our applications just inquire into their military history. I dont think it is legal to make it mandatory to specifically ask the question but is ok to inquire and this is why our applications are this way.

Part two of the question: Should we be interviewing ALL applications that offer a response to the military history on the application?

Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me?? Thanks a ton for your help....

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-24-05 AT 10:47AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Our applications ask for military history. I can't imagine why you would also ask about being a veteran. Some states, I believe, include a protected class for veteran status. I wouldn't ask, especially if the applicant thought he/she were being discriminated against because of it.

Part two. No, you needn't interview all applicants who reply 'yes' to that section. The guideline is to choose applicants with at least the minimum qualifications for the position.

Hope this helps.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-24-05 AT 10:48AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Veteran preferances in public employment are extra points added to the test scores of veterans. These preferences operate in a civil service setting that is a part of the rules under which you operate. I am working part time in a public sector setting, but veterans preferences are not part of the selection process. The place to start is to look into the ordinance or whatever that set up your HR system. As far as interviewing "all veterans" - the only preferance, if you are required to have them, is to add points to test scores.
  • Check your state law, also. In WI, there are mandatory preference points for some positions, notably protective service positions.