Personal Appearance Verbage

Is there a nice way of phrasing that employees can't hang out of their clothing? I just had a complaint from a manager that he is bothered that both is superior and assistant wear low cut tops that are a few sizes too small. Additionally, we don't allow bare midriffs, but some tops too short to allow upper body movement. Thanks.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Have dealt with this one and even when it sounds easy -- it is not. Usually the offenders never recognize themselves so honesty is really the best road to take here. Wow, his superior and assistant both have the same problem -- do you think perhaps he is a bit sensitive?

If the tops are really too low, and the bottoms too short -- and you are the one who must handle the "situation" have a talk with the offender(s) and be direct, polite and firm.

• Thanks - yes he is sensitive - and must stay up late thinking of things to complain about. But on this one, he's right. The sad thing, it seems to be a growing problem with some of our officers - installing full length mirrors might be an option.
  • One of my former employers (a bank) put posters in the employee area showing acceptable attire. they used cutouts from current magazines showing the current styles and had one board showing "acceptable attire" and one showing "unacceptable attire" - the wording was great and the posters were far from offensive.
  • I have had to actually "spell" this out in our dress code policy to read "no halter tops, strapless tops, tank tops, crop tops", etc and "provacative clothing is prohibited" which is pretty sad considering we are in NH and it is freezing. The policy also states that the employee will be sent home "on their own time" to dress into appropriate attire. Believe it or not, I also had to add "shoes, socks or hosiery should be worn at all time" because I was receiving complaints from employees that co-workers were walking around barefoot! Good luck!
  • Yes, Dasher, let's blame this whole thing on the male supervisor who simply wants to find a solution and move on. He's too sensitive. He's gawking. He's a male. He's got no business looking.

Certainly it must be the fault of the man who wants it addressed. It appears that the women in charge have failed to address it, so let's stone the gentleman.
  • I'm just on this kick...

Well, they'll stone ya when you're trying to be so good,
    They'll stone ya just a-like they said they would.
    They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to go home.
    Then they'll stone ya when you're there all alone.
    But I would not feel so all alone,
    Everybody must get stoned.

Well, they'll stone ya when you're walkin' 'long the street.
    They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to keep your seat.
    They'll stone ya when you're walkin' on the floor.
    They'll stone ya when you're walkin' to the door.

They'll stone ya when you're at the breakfast table.
    They'll stone ya when you are young and able.
    They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to make a buck.
    They'll stone ya and then they'll say, "good luck."
    Tell ya what, I would not feel so all alone,

Well, they'll stone you and say that it's the end.
    Then they'll stone you and then they'll come back again.
    They'll stone you when you're riding in your car.
    They'll stone you when you're playing your guitar.
    Yes, but I would not feel so all alone,

Well, they'll stone you when you walk all alone.
    They'll stone you when you are walking home.
    They'll stone you and then say you are brave.
    They'll stone you when you are set down in your grave.

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • If the man addressed the problem he just might get hit with sexual harrassment cause I guess he's not supposed to notice the obvious.

In my old job I was the "fashion police" on casual Fridays, and I learned very quickly that being subtle didn't work, you just have to be straightforward and even harsh with some people. Some just don't get the difference between "appropriate and innapropriate" clothing.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-18-05 AT 04:40PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Now, now Don -- put your spear down. Only wanted to clarify (before we talk with the ladies) that the gentleman was not being overly sensitive. Since his comments were legitimate, we all expect the situation to proceed towards an amicable end, somehow. You know my views are extremely liberal and that I will always struggle to see both sides -- that's just who I am.

So go take off those skintight pants and have a great weekend.

• But, as professionals, we have absolutely no business questioning the motives or the mentality of the complaining party. You would not do that had the complainant been a female. Why do it because he is a male? Had the complainant been a woman, you would have taken up the gauntlet and marched forward and you know it. But, because it was a man who complained about skin and lard hanging out of clothing, there must be something we need to question and certainly his complaint cannot be legitimate and he must be too sensitive and probably he has some ulterior psychosis underlying this whole thing. It simply cannot be worth investigating and acting on.
  • "No butts, no bras, no belly's." That's one of my wife's favorite sayings to orient her new EEs.

She also has discussion about piercings and earrings. She runs a lab child care center at the local community college - often she has to state the obvious for the new EEs regarding how tempting bright, flashy and dangling jewelry can be to the little ones.

She gets lots of student EEs at the community college and has the best results with very direct and timely discussion when they show up with anything outside the lines. Sends them home on their own time. Quick, immediate feedback, reinforced by all her full-time EEs seems to do the trick.
  • "But, as professionals, we have absolutely no business questioning the motives or the mentality of the complaining party."

Oh, boy, am I in trouble --I do that ALL the time. Just thought it odd that the guy's boss and assistant both had the same dressing (or lack thereof) problem.

Will be more careful next time. (tongue in cheek symbol, but I don't know how to do it)