Resignation

We have an employee who was promoted approximately 3 weeks ago. A great deal of training has been necessary for her new position. Performance fair. She has now submitted her resignation-2 weeks plus is looking for a weeks vacation. We want to let her finish out one week and pay her vacation for the second week. I know she is planning to move out of state at the end of the month. Do we have to pay her for the 3rd week of her notice? I realize she can file for unemployment.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You don't HAVE to. It's OK to do what you suggest. The only reason I've ever know to pay out the entire two weeks notice is to avoid the UI complication. She has not given you three weeks of notice as you indicate. She gave you two weeks notice, plus you owe her for a week of vacation, if I interpret correctly. You are more than likely obligated by law to pay out the vacation. You are not obligated by law, unless you have a state law, to pay her for two weeks of notice or to retain her during that period.
  • I concur; additionally, you can cut the vacation check today along with this weeks pay as 40 hours and let her go tomorrow. The sooner the better, before she can spread any virus that she might want to spread.

PORK