Sensative Issue

I searched the forum for advice regarding "body odor" but I still need some help. This is one part of being HR I don't like...

We have a very large man in our office that has an awful odor. We spoke to him 2 weeks ago regarding this and he thanked us for bringing it to his attention as his "sniffer" doesn't work to well.

Last week he was out due to leg problems. This week he came in on Monday odor free - well - starting Tuesday the odor was back. We sat down with him again and this time he stated that he has sores on his legs and he only cleans the dressing every other day. He agreed to clean them daily.

Yesterday, again he came in odor free - by the afternoon it was unbearable. This morning the same thing.

We are in a call center envoirnment so the employees are in pretty close quarters. And the employees around him are feeling a little whoozy with the odor.

I think that the sores on his legs are producing the odor. (just guessing) Can I require him to go back to his doctor to get this fixed? And what documention can I ask for that says it is/will be resovled? If it is not or can not be resolved what are my options.

Thank you!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • NOHR4U1YR: GOOD MORNING, This is evidently getting to the point of a safety issue, and if you can not put this individual in a private office with great ventilation to the outside world, I believe I would be moving this person to the outside and with out a job. Ours is an "at will" state and we would definately make the call that it just is not working out and send him on the way. You, it seems, have done everything possible to make it apparant to him that his body odor is important and he is the only one that can make the change for the better; other than his release from an employer/employee relationship, which would be the next step.

And I thought we had working issues with odors, yours puts ours to shame!

PORK
  • Have you discussed giving him FMLA paperwork to see if he qualifies for FMLA? The sores may be due to some sort of medical condition (instead of just poor hygiene habits). Give him the paperwork, explain that the odor is a distraction to others and that you want to help him resole this issue. Tell him that if he wants to call the doctor with you present, you can all discuss reasonabel remedies that may take care of the problem. You can ask the doctor questions, so long as you do not inquire about any diagnosis or treatment, but rather work to determine a reasonable solution to the problem.

I agree with PORK, you can term because it is not reasonable to allow the ee to continue to make other ees ill. Sometimes, there is just nothing that can be done and you have to moe on. Trying to assist the ee though will help you in the long run if he complains about disparate treatment. You have already shown that you are willing to do so.