how to keep good employees with absentee problems

I have a good employee since 11/04. She is not eligible for FMLA and had to go out for a surgery. She has missed over the number of days we allow before we terminate or start progressive discipline. We have terminated other employees for missing as much work as the "good employee" has. Recently, we had another "good employee" who is not eligible for FMLA have surgery, she was out 2 weeks and came back to work. I'm wandering if I'm setting a bad example or setting myself up for a lawsuit by not terming these good employees for missing too much work. How do I keep them but still term other employees with absentee problems.

Thanks.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think down deep you know the answer. Consistency, consistency, consistency. Follow your policy.
  • You don't, simply follow your company policy and procedures. Let the good ones know that your hands are tied and that the company has done everything you could do and now the company has no further options. Let the person know in writing that the individual is subject to re-hire with a physician approved full-time duty release and then hire them back as soon as you can.

Those that the company does not hold in high regard, your letter should state that an application will be accepted and their employment will be considered subject ot the availability of a position in which the individual would be considered along with all other candidates for the the most qualified candidate.

Let the chips fall where they may and it takes the company out of the light!

PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-09-05 AT 01:50PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Yes, you are setting a bad example as well as compromising the integrity of your operation and your policies. You lose credibility when you don't consistently follow your own policies regardless of the preception of "good" vs "bad" employees. If your policy is to terminate afer x amount of absences, then that is what you should do. Let them know they can reapply for employment and are eligible for rehire, if your policy allows for that. Some limit rehire eligility for a period of time, if at all.
  • I agree with the other posters, unfortunately, there are times when we lose good ees for whatever reason. You cannot enforce policies that you liberally apply. Consistency is an ers biggest argument against employment related complaints.

Now that you have lost a good ee due to your attendance policy, it may be a good time to review it. Fortunately, I work for a large er that has a policy in place to "protect" ees that do not meet requirements for FMLA (we do not have any state mandated leave statutes either). You may want to look at something like this. Our disability policy is only for the ees own serious medical condition and is mirrored after FMLA. We offer this to ees that do not qualify for FMLA, or who are still unable to return after their FMLA is exhausted (again, the additional time is only for their own heath condition). This can help a company faced with losing good ees, but understand that it applies to everyone, even those that are not "stellar" performers. This may not be a viable option for you, but you can set the length of time because it is not federally mandated, so you much more control over the process. Just food for thought.....
  • Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, I feel any policy we try to come up with is not going to help the "stellar" performers but actually help more of the "slackers". I have changed my attendance policies time and time again to try to accomodate one situation that arises. I can't keep doing that. So, I guess termination or progressive discipline is the only solution, that is if I am going to stay fair and consistent, which is my primary concern.

Thanks again.
    -t
  • My question, how can you be sure this ee is stellar or even just good after only 4 months? From 11/04 to now is a very short time to make such a value judgement. I would be very hesitant to make any concessions in this case. Different if it were a 20 year ee.