Can't perfor for Random Test

Never had this happen before. How would you handle it. One of our random selections was not able to "perform" for random unrine test this morning. Our clinic is open from 8-12 then closes from 12-2. This person was sent at 11:20. Drank and drank water both before going and arriving at clinic. Could not get adaquate sample before clinic closed for lunch. I am sending her again at 2:00. My question however is would you send her again today or hold off and send her again some time this month unannounced as today's test was? I really don't think there would be a problem with this ee but you know what assuming does for us. Your thoughts please.
Sandie

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't do random testing but my first thought was send her again today. If you let her go without a test today the person who is actually using will suddenly "not be able to perform" and then have the opportunity to become clean. If you treat differently that could land you in a lot of trouble.
  • Retest today. While I'm not suggesting your employee is using, inability to go is a common tactic used by users.

• I agree with the previous two posters. Additionally, the consent to test form that the ee probably filled out before going to the clinic is normally only valid for that day. Don't allow the ee to get out of it, as stated before, it sets a precedent.
  • As is the case with DOT randoms, the examinee is required to sit still in the lobby of the collection site until he/she can produce. Water is provided. Smoke breaks and lunch break are not provided. The individual sits there until able to produce. This is one of the most common tactics among users. We're not talking simple, shy bladder here.
  • Well Sandra, this is a pretty timely post for me because it just happened to us on Friday. We sent an applicant for a pre-employment drug screen. He couldn't produce so they brought him water at a rate of 8 oz. / half hour for three hours. If you give too much water you can "dilute" the sample. He said he still couldn't go, so the clinic sent him back to me. I sent him back to the clinic and said he had until 3:00 to produce or the job offer would be withdrawn. At that point he left and never came back.

Like Don said, shy bladders are rare, but has anyone ever run into one? How was it diagnosed? By a doctor? If so, then what? I like to be ready for anything.

We once had an applicant who submitted a sample, but it wasn't to temperature. I felt sorry for the poor guy. You spend all that money on "Tinkle" synthetic urine and the damn heater strip doesn't work. And there he was, stuck in the room without a microwave anywhere.
  • Times like these make me wish I was still in uniform. Every random we had, two or three of my soldiers would sometimes pull stunts such as these. No dice! I would have them fall-in with 2 quart canteens and would PT (physical training, PC correct term for abuse in this case) them until they urinated.

Trust me, 1 hour of t-bones/side straddle hops in quick succession with no breaks while downing warm canteen water and you will produce. Abu Gharib would be a welcome relief to doing this with your bladder ready to explode claiming you "just can't pee".

Gene
  • Yes, this was a first. I sent her back at 2:00 and she didn't have any problem then. Maybe she just didn't have enough time the first go around but like everyone else you are a little suspious when you see them using the john all day long and not just at scheduled breaks! I do understand how doing it later in the month with them not knowing when could still give them a chance to clean up. We will see when I get the results, don't think she had enough time to doctor anything before taking it again at 2:00. Thanks to all that replied. Really appreciate it!
  • SO basically she could not go in 40 minutes, and we are looking at her like it was her fault? Gene can relate, when I was in the Army they called and had us show up for an alert in PT gear. Now I had only 2 minutes before the phone rang just urinated for what seemed like an eternity. x:D Talk about bad timing!
    I then made the mistake of signing for the cup. Took me 3 hours before I could pee as I had just emptied my bladder.
    It can happen, and it can be legit.........
    My $0.02 worth,
    THe Balloonman
  • I have some (ahem) personal experience here . . . my first job after college required a pre-employment screen. I got up that morning, DID NOT GO after getting up, drove 1/2 hour to the clinic (in another town), holding it the whole time, and it took perhaps 3 hours for me to "produce". It was awful!

I have never had any other "difficulty", so I believe it truly was stage fright. Thankfully the staff at the clinic was kind, and it wasn't very busy.

If I were still doing testing, I would probably try to send people as early as possible so there is plenty of time before that break or the end of the day. (A two hour lunch? Where do I sign up???)
  • Yes, I will be sending first thing from now on. The 2 hour lunch does sound nice doesn't it! I did get results back today and she tested negative!
  • SZEMCOMO: our policy has a factor that says: "any refusal to provide a urine sample for testing and any positive result calls for an immediate termination"! We have had only one person to refuse to provide a urine sample and stated as you wrote, that the individual was unable to perform for the test. The individual was terminated and the word went out that the refusal to perform is not an excuse for this company.

A company can not jeopardize its drug testing policy and have it to hold up in a court of law. Follow your company policy and if you do not have a statement to cover your actions for non-performers, you should get one. A random selection program will be destroyed, if you do not get the test accomplished in a 24 hour period of time after notification, or whatever time limit you have set and in place at the time of the selection of this female employee. Are you willing to put your entire drug testing policy in jeopardy?

PORK
  • As I found out from the clinic after I sent her back at 2:00 she was able to give a sample just not enough for a proper screen. So she was trying just ran out of time before they closed for lunch. I think I will make sure and send them first chance from now on, there should not be any reason not to give a full sample if they can sit there for 3 hours without leaving. We did have an ee once refuse to go and he was terminated on the spot as our policy does indicate so we do have that and positve result covered for an immediate term. Just never had to send someone back before.
    Thanks again to all.
  • By the way when she went back she had no problem and gave a full sample.