truck fumes

We are a manufacturing plant with one department in close proximity to the shipping department. We had complaints last night from several employees in that other department that the fumes from trucks parked at the dock was causing them to feel sick. The manager of that department went to the shipping manager and suggested that the truckers shut off their engines while parked at the dock. That's a good suggestion, but very difficult to control. The shipping manager said he's been dealing with the fumes for 20 years and he's fine - so don't worry about it. We have plastic barriers between shipping and the rest of the plant that generally help keep the cold air and elements outside. But, apparently, that is not always enough. I wonder if simply offering masks to the employees is enough to address the problem. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Masks???? You mean gas masks?? Like the troops have in Iraq??
  • I was actually thinking of something a litte more simple - like a painters mask or respirator. Something like this: [url]http://www.probuy.net/products/8233.html[/url]

• Mike, what do you think the ee's reaction will be? We have a hard enough time getting people to wear safety glasses, I would think there would be a lot of complaints about masks. Many years ago in our old facility we had the same problem. We replaced the plastic barriers with steel doors and sealed them.
  • Why are you accepting the shipping manager's answer? Trucks that park in our bays are required to turn off their engines. It has not been problem.
  • I concurr; the trucks should be shut off, regardless of the shipping manager's claims of being in perfect health. Is he a physician? The companies' first priority is the control of environment so that it is safe from all potential dangers. 2ndly the company is charged with the responsibility to listen to complaints and to investigat the circumstance and find a solution that would satisfy all parties' safety. I have never seen a shipping port that is so small, like an administrative work area, therefore, the cramped space may be a part of the issues. The shipping manager's work area is large and the truck smells are diminished due to the shear volumn of air available to breath.

Bottom-line the safety manager can not accept the shipping manager's statement as the answer. An official complaint that has merit and turned over to the OSHA personnel in your state, might not be so pleasant. Employee complaints is high on their list of investigations. You may not be able to do anything about the situation to engineer out the employee concerns, therefore, management actions will need to be decided and implemented.

PORK
  • Hi Mike,

Along with the fume problem, you have a major safety issue if you are allowing your workers to load or unload a truck that is "running", even if it is chocked properly. If your shipping manager isn't worried about this, then I would say that he has been sniffing too many fumes.

My suggestion is to not waste money on solving symptoms, but go right to the problem. As one poster already said, trucks should be be shut off. Period. This will not be hard to enforce as long as the truckers know that they will not be touched until they are shut off. The truckers I know don't like to spend alot of time at the dock. They'll be quick to comply.

• Agree with Pork. You have a duty to provide a safe working environment for your employees and, trust me - you do NOT want an employee to complaint to OSHA and have them come into your facility. I used to work at a company where the administrative offices were located next to the loading dock and we enforced a strict rule that engines needed to be shut down while in the dock.

By the way, your shipping manager is probably used to the fumes and will continue to insist he's ok once he's diagnosed with some dread respiratory disease.
  • Thank you all for your responses! That's exactly what I needed to hear. We will indeed require that the trucks be shut off!

• No one mentioned that you cannot just give out respirators. If you give a respirator to an employee for a hazard you have to have a full blown respirator program. Don't ever go that route unless you absolutely have to.
  • I would go one step further and order dosi-tubes and do some air quality sampling, even if the trucks are shut off. Do you use powered industrial trucks in the shipping area to load and unload, if so how are they powered?
  • Many years ago we had a similar problem (with trucks parked outside in an alley loading and unloading) and one of our employees, unknown to us, called the state agency and they came and did an air quality test. They were actually extremely nice and helpful. (Things have probably changed since then, but) you might want to consider doing this. That way you can actually take the results to the manager and tell him you have to do something and they couldn't give us a come back... however, be ready for the outcome of the tests and any reprucussions.
    E Wart
  • Even better, your work comp carier ought to provide this service. They have an industrial hygienist on staff who can come in and do the testing and you won't have to worry about possible citations, etc. My personal experience with exhaust fumes has been that employees love to complain about them, but it's almost impossible to have levels which create any actionable hazard.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-04-05 AT 09:36AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I would tell you shipping manager that he better have some good liability insurance. This is a problem and your company better deal with it. Shut off the trucks and provide adequate ventilation to that office space. People have asthma, some are more susceptible to carbon monoxide; you could have some real issues on your hands if you don't deal with this one. Our Work Comp carrier and local OSHA compliance office have been very helpful to us in resolving safety, environmental and ergonomic issues; I'll bet yours would be too.