CANADIAN EMPLOYMENT ADS - PART II

Somebody out there do you know anything what to and what not to do in a canadian want ad. I really, really need help.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'll start by saying that the government of the United States will not be at all impressed by the fact that you are running your help wanted ads in another country. In fact they will require that you follow the process for domestic advertising in newspapers and trade journals. Your Texas Workforce Commission Immigration unit will have answers for you. They have at least one staff member whose job it is to guide you through the advertising process. You must also provide that office with tear sheets, the names of all who responded and whether or not your hired any and why not.
  • Awwww, you sounded so disappointed that we were going to run ads in Canada. But you are an true HR professional at heart because you still gave me some place to start.

We are incorporating in Canada. The reason is because we want to sell them the products we mfg -- in the USA. No production facilities will be located in Canada.

I read your post where the VIsa requirements were treated as a joke at a former company and I can understand your feelings of distaste. But really, we are just a small american company trying to abide by the rules and do some growing because our products ROCK!!!!!!

Thanks again, Don, for the starting point.
  • Sorry Ethel. You were right. I jumped the gun and figured you were about to advertise in Canada for applicants for your Texas position. Thanks for correcting me on that.

On the other subject; it's not that I have a distaste for the immigration or H1B processes. Both are valuable when used properly and both can be a good tool and a conduit to good things. I just hope HR people will go into the processes fully informed. By, the way, I learned that a company can forever lose its privelege to utilize the H1 process if they do stupid things like move the alien to another job without government knowledge or monkey around too much with the overall process once the guy gets in the job.

Good luck with the Canadian and Mexican efforts.
  • Don: I made the asumption that this company was an international corporation with operating facilities in Canada, thus would not need to worry about the immigration aspects. I assumed the posting was advertising in Canada for positions located in Canada. Thus my refrain from posting anything on the previous thread, because I have no experience with Canadian EEO concerns. An "International company" like Wal-Mart, which when faced with union activities they made the tactical decision to close the doors, rather than meet the union's demands.

PORK