Sensitive Issue- Need Help

2»

Comments

• Oh, no -- you are not excused! I am basing my opinion on the many interviews and articles read in the past. Yes, he is different -- well even a bit strange. You don't like 'em. Okay, fair enough, no reason why you have to.

Do you hear me saying that people who sunbath to extreme or botox their lips, etc.,
    don't like being themselves! Gee -- watching Dr. 90210 the other day, you would have to say that plenty of people want to be different than God made them. Talk about weird -- some of those women will fall over on their face, being so top heavy.

It is not the same thing, and should not be confused with racial self-hatred.
  • We have a form that newly hired employees fill out during orientation that asks for information such as race. We call it our Confidential Information Form. On this form they give us race, date of birth, address, phone, emergency contact, etc. We keep this in a separate file from their personnel file along with other confidential information.

We also get this information on criminal background check forms that the employee has to fill out so that we can do criminal background checks. If you do those, you might check that form.
  • Nat, help me out here please. Birth date, I see. Address, I see. Emergency Info, I see. Telephone number, I see.

I personally don't mind answering -- but what in the (corporate) world do you need the race information for?
  • I have to fill out an EEO-1 report so we need that information. We ask it on the form and then it goes into our HR software so when I need to know how many African American, women, managers I have, I can get that information. That's really the only reason we ask it. That information is also helpful if you get a race discrimination allegation. I can't imagine that we are the only company that asks for this information. The person is already hired, we don't ask them to fill this out prior to hiring them and we keep it separate from their personnel file.
  • Lighten up Dasher. There are legitimate reasons for asking. The legitimate reason that comes to mind is so that we can satisfy the illegitimate curiosity of the government. Your argument should not be with those who ask, but, with those who demand we report in the first place. Nobody would ask someone's race so that they could, in the future, discriminate against that person.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-01-05 AT 04:53PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Yes, there are legitimate reasons for tracking race -- and I am aware of all of them. However, a company would not need such info on a confidential form that appeared to be used for emergency or personal contact info -- hence my query to Nat. He did not mind answering my legitimate inquiry and did so to my satisfaction -- and even added gender infor in his response. You mistake my efforts to clarify this thread with an argument -- you know me better than that!!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-01-05 AT 04:05PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I am from the government and I am here to help you! This is the latest information I am required
    to report:

Racial Categories:

White
    Black/African American
    Black/African American & White
    Asian
    Asian & White
    American Indian/Alaskan Native
    American Indian/ Alaskan Native & White
    American Indian/ Alaskan Native & Black/African American
    Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander
    Other Multi-Racial

Also Senior Citizen (over 60)
    Also Low-Income
    Ethnicity: Also Hispanic

The follwing information is also required: Affirmative Action: What is your organization doing to increase or maintain appropriate representation of race, gender, age, income that supports your organization's unbiased treatment of volunteers, (including Board members)or staff.(IE Hiring practices, advertising, promotion,& job applicants)?

Oh by the way, until this year they wanted to know those over age 40, now it is just those over 60. I am so glad they simplified it.(What face icon do I put here?)

By the way I didn't make this up. It is a requirement of the Community Development Block Grant

• This is slightly off topic, but the forum does seem to chase a rabbit every once in a while. All television stations, in order to be licenced by the FCC, have to track / document not only our EEOC stats, but also our recruitment efforts. We have to prove that we made an effort to make all openings known so that the info was disseminated in such a way that all qualified applicants are aware of the position. We have to participate in outreach efforts to make known opportunities in broadcasting (2 per year from an FCC provided list). Check any television website - they should have an EEO report tab so that you can review their efforts. I think this is good policy, if perhaps not to the extreme level the FCC requires, for any industry as a self - evaluation tool. If your recruitment efforts are on target, then your hiring practices will have a better chance to be on target.
  • This is slightly off topic, but the forum does seem to chase a rabbit every once in a while.

Rabbit? What rabbit?