ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN THE US

We are about to interview someone who is 'eligible to work in the United Sates' but is from another country no other information has been provided. Are there any big 'no-no's' I should stay away from in the interviewing process. In addition, does anyone know of any websites I could find more information regarding visa's, citizenship etc.

Thank you!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • NHHR: Welcome to the forum! The DOL has everything you want to know. Do a google search for work permits and it will get you there. This forum has had many discussions on the subject. Once you have a SSN you can validate that number with SSA and an 800 number. You will need to know the correct spelling of the name, the birthdate, and gender and the SSN in order to respond to the inquiry.

Review the individual's work permit to ascertain the expiration date. I have asked this forum on a previous means of vialidating the work permit, but no one has told me of place to get help.

If the social security number is not a match with the name then you must send the individual to the SSA to have the error corrected. With an approximately 10 million illegal immigrants in our country and alot of them working for someone, you do not need to assist them in staying any longer.

PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-23-05 AT 11:25AM (CST)[/font][br][br]NHHR,

You probably already know this but a good place to start for both information and forms that you might need is:

[url]http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm[/url]

And, as you have stated, you already also know that the journey that you are about to embark on is wrought with potential discrimination pitfalls -- because while you must ensure that the applicant is indeed eligible to work in the United States you cannot discriminate in the process of doing so. Another topic to Google might be the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.

Oh, and one more thing. You might want to review all of the responses to the Ethel from Texas question on 2/22/05 for some good advice.

Geno

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-23-05 AT 11:43AM (CST)[/font][br][br]There are millions of people from other countries who are eligible to work in the U.S. Treat this candidate just as you would anyone else. To be in compliance with the IRCA they need to provide proof of identity and eligibility within 3 days of starting work.

I would recommend against SSN verification, etc, unless it is already your practice and you intend to continue it with everyone from this point forward. In other words, don't scrutinize the individual solely due to national origin.

The rest of the advice given by others is sound.

Gene

P.S. I just re-read Pork's post and let me add that while you should certainly check to make sure the person is not providing an expired document, refusing to hire based solely on a future expiration date is illegal.