Volunteers

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated...

We are a non-profit organization with more and more volunteer opportunties coming available - it is hard to allow our staff to read to kids, sort books, deliver books, tutor students, etc.

We would like to explore creating a Volunteer Group where local residents can volunteer through LCF to do these sort of activities. Because this is a component of many not-for-profits and the need already exists.

However, before we start “recruiting” are there any possible HR constraints? Do we need an application? background checks? waivers? special volunteer training (no sexual harassment, company policies, etc.)?

Thank you for any input you can provide. I hope your day is going well!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In my opinion, there are several factors you should consider.

First, go through your handbook and pick out the policies and procedures that would apply only to volunteers. Harrassment, violence, ethics, reporting guidelines, confidentiality waivers, technology policies, customer service expectations, and the like.

As to background checks, YES, YES, YES. If these people are going to work with kids, especially if there will be no other supervision, you would be nuts not to do full background checks. The unfortunate truth is that enough people with issues get to kids through volunteering that it forever taints all the vast majority who really want to help. Protect everyone involved with background checks.

Train your volunteers and orient them much as you would a new EE. And finally - supervise them for a while.
  • State pay regulations may vary a bit but in general non-profits may use volunteers to do the work that is what the non-profit is in business to do. The line is generally crossed when the volunteers do staff, administrative work. As Mark says, you should vet, orient and supervise these people the same as you would an employee who works with kids.
  • In addition to Mark's good advice I would ask if you are accredited? When I worked for a non profit and were accredited, they had numberous standards for volunteers including job descriptions.

Some one else may know how this effects your insurance. .ie liability
  • Check your state regs in regard to Worker's Comp as well.
  • Thanks you for all of your responses - I am looking into our state reg's to ensure that we are following everything properly.

Shelley