Succession planning--surveys OK?

As a public employer with 5000 employees, (and like most) with many who will reach retirement age in 5 to 10 years, my HR folks have asked my advice on a survey to all staff on 1> Their estimated retirement date and 2> a request for information about what is unique about their job. Even with a disclaimer that this is going to all staff regardless of age, I'm concerned about age discrimination. Putting that aside, do you folks share my concerns about folks being frightened they will be fased out? any other concerns?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Allison: Yes, I am frightened about being phased out, I'm not sure about "Fased Out".

I would definately be concerned about talking to anyone about a survey pertaining to retirement!!! This opens your company up to the potential litigation based on the product of the survey in which the company might make some decision for whatever reason. It will appear like the "Aged considered, was discovered and then personnel actions down the road will be impacted". From the date of the survey and forever more, your companies strategic and economic planning will be hinged on the aged employees.

It is very easy for the HR to keep a running tallie of the "aging population" in your employed population. Do not let the slightest bit of information from HR records become management information because then they begin to concern themselves with HR actions based on "who is where and when" is so and so going to get out of the way. We "elderly are not dumb", only old, and we need to be treated with respect for our value and experience.

Management needs to make their business decisions based on strategy and business economics and not people!

Our retained attorney would go bunkers if he knew the complilations, I have on all sorts of affirmative action issues for my HR ability to influence our management chain on the "who" of it all. We do not even publish a birthday monthly list because that then allows age to be considerations for what we older workers can and cannot accomplish. I am the 2nd oldest person in the company and have more leadership experience than all of these young leaders put together. The oldest ole "cogger" retired as a Department Manager, and now he is the top "Breeder" of sows in the company. Between the two us, we could run this company in our sleep!

PORK
  • Pork: Succession planning is not about 'getting rid of the old heads'. It's only a proactive way to plan for the orderly transition of people, responsibilities and positions. A company which makes no plans in this regard sets itself up for disaster.

Planning has nothing to do with battles over who has more experience and knowledge than others combined. Planning is all about a businesses effort to continue to exist on an ongoing basis, utilizing it's present and bench strength to its advantage.

Old farts like us clawing and screaming on the way out does very little to foster the continuation of a viable company.
  • .....any way to incorporate a little anonymity into the survey process?

geno
  • We devised a cross training method, more due to turnover than retirement, but it works just the same. Everyone will need to be replaced at some point in time and it's easier if at least one other person in the company knows and understands what others do.
  • Thanks to Pork1, DonD, Geno and Denise...and to Denise: some of our Divisions have implemented the cross training and that is a great idea.
  • Alison13: Great and you'r the honest broker with all the demographic information on your employee population. This adds to your value on the management team because as Don said above "planning must go on", but sticking management information on age is only applied after the business decisions are made based on economics and strategy. Don and I agree, but we just have a different set of experiences from which we come to the table for planning. AGE information, Retirement information, disability information of any kind, should never be brought into the equation until the right time! Don't let the company make a mistake of developing a business plan based on the fact that "ole Pork is now 64 and counting", with diabetes, a slowing heart, and cranky as Hell, and stuck in his "bone head" ways, but plans on working until the "HOGs come home". I will die at this terminal and pecking away at these keys to make sense of it all.

Ya'll have a nice and Blessed evening and we will catch on the flip side!

PORK
  • Thanks again Pork for taking the time to respond. It's a great relief to talk with other folks in the same boat w/me!