Background Checks

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-10-05 AT 05:09PM (CST)[/font][br][br]If one has a diversion on their record, example would be a DUI diversion, will it show up on a background check?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What's a diversion? I used to be a cop and I don't know, although I've participated in all kinds of diversions in my life. : ) Most of which I won't admit to.
  • The background checks I receive have convictions only. But CORI (criminal records investigations by State Police), show everything from parking tickets and stops to convictions.
  • It depends on the method you use for getting the information. If you outsource to a research service or if the nature of your employer's business does not legally require criminal background verifications, you will probably never see it. If you are legally required to perform criminal background checks, you probably will.

Because of the nature of our business, we are required by statute to perform background checks and directly link with Fl Dept of Law Enforcement (FDLE) for the verifications, and we see everything, all arrests, all convictions, all traffic citations, even if there was no conviction. We are also legally required (because of the nature of our business) to investigate juvenile records. We base our decisions on convictions only and use a labor screening statute in Florida as the basis. It describes that all pleas of guilt, pleas of no contest, pre-trial diversionary programs, and probations (regardless of adjudication) are to be treated equally as convictions. Only nolle processed resolutions can be accepted as a non conviction. We can also accept many misdemeanors, but virtually no felonies and no misdemeanors if minors were involved in the crime. We even get notice of 'wanted persons' designations and notices of outstanding arrest warrants, which sometimes means nothing more than the individual is known to be driving with a suspended DL or failed to pay a traffic fine.

I am often asked by folks I disqualify based on criminal history how we found what we found because other employers had no knowledge the history we found existed. My usual response is that we made the request (authorized and advertised up front), the information came back to us in the response, and I can't speak to how other employers conduct their background verifications.

• Diversion, actually called pre-trial diversion, means that the DA, judge and defense have all agreed that the trial for the offense will be delayed for s specified period of time. The defendant will be given certain conditions which he/she must abide by. In this case, probably defensive driving classes, alcohol awareness, AA meetings, etc, etc.

If after the period of time they kept their nose clean then the case is actually put on the docket for trial and subsequently dismissed.

Tehcnically, the case should not show-up on a background check as a conviction, however, depending on the level of investigation doen by your provider it will certainly show as a pending case. The arrest record for the DUI remains as is. That one will show.

Gene
  • I don't know the difference in non-adjudicated and diversion; but, the non-adjudicated ones don't show up on the criminal checks we pay to have run.

I got my son's public drunk off his record. He was 19 and Mississippi State had just beaten Auburn that night in football. Good thing was that he was not driving a vehicle. Bad thing was that he threatened to piss on a cop's leg. I paid a lawyer $300 to have it removed. I think that's pretty common for people not 21. I later paid a service to run his background and sure enough, it was not there.
  • There is an expungement process that I think costs $300 to $500 range. Maybe that's what you did. You're a nice dad. Mistakes of youth that involve the law can last for a long time. In the type of background check we do, I think your son's event might show with an unresolved status. I would have to pursue local verification in the records dept of the arresting agency.

I have had dialog with local state attorneys who advise young folks to plea no contest and take withheld adjudication, explaining that it will leave no mark on their criminal history. The truth is that it won't unless the employer is required by law (because of the nature of the business) to perform criminal background checks. For those of us who must, it is a guilty conviction because our statute says it must be. The catch is that we are in a rural area and the 3rd largest employer in the area. There aren't many other places for young folks to apply for work and stay local if they don't come to us. Also, a lot of family connections, which leads to hurt feelings. It's been a real tragedy for me to witness from the HR side.
  • We have what's called PBJ, or Probation Before Judgement. It means someone can be put on probation for a period of time and have the judgement delayed. If they don't mess up during that time, the charges will be dropped. It works for speeding tickets too.
  • That sounds very similar to Florida's pretrial diversionary program or pretrial intervention. My personal opinion is that it can probably be a helpful tool. Unfortunately, it's looked upon in our background screening requirement as an admission of guilt. The sad part seems to be that the programs like that I know about in Florida are heavily populated by young people who with court appointed legal representation as they can least afford private legal counsel.
  • The sad part seems to be
    >that the programs like that I know about in
    >Florida are heavily populated by young people
    >who with court appointed legal representation as
    >they can least afford private legal counsel.

Replace young with black, hispanic or whatever else you like and you have the making of adverse impact. I am personally not fond of policies that take a blanket approach at disqualifying based solely on offense without taking a more structured approach.

I can certainly understand positions which involve a high level of human safety, deal with negotiable instruments and even national security requiring individuals with impeccable credentials. However, for the majority of rank and file employers, it is ridiculous to willy-nilly disqualify someone because they had a drunk and disorderly diverted ten years ago at age 21.

Gene

• Great story. I guess the cop was an Auburn fan.

The apple doesn't fall far, does it? x0:)
  • I notice you concluded with an angel. I don't pretend to be one. Perhaps you are. Tell you what; write me back when your kids are 26 and tell me they never got drunk in their lives and we'll talk over a cold one. BTW, this 'tree' never had that occur.
  • As I wrote, I thought it was a great story. My parents told me when I had kids, "You'll get worse than you gave." So if that turns out to be true, I'm sure I'll have many stories such as yours.

No angel here. My intent was a lighthearted response to your story. I guess I should have realized that with our history of verbal sparring, I should have just not responded at all.

• In Kansas if the diversion program was successfully completed it may show up as an arrest and no conviction. If the diversion program was not successful it will show up as a conviction.