lawsuit awards

I have to give a presentation next week regarding ways to avoid employment litigation. I would love to have some statistics to present that show the average jury award for employment-related lawsuits , average out of court settlements,and/or the average cost to just to defend a charge (even if the company prevails). Does anyone have such statistics or know where I might be able to obtain them?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • A couple of years ago I got a labor attorney to present sexual harassment training to management. He brougt and passed out a two or three page list of cases by company name, type of charge, settlement amount, etc. I don't know where he downloaded it from, but it was obviously off an internet site his firm subscribed to. By the way, good idea! I can tell you that the senior management perked up when they held that printout and saw the names of companies and monetary awards.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-09-05 AT 03:08PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I did this recently and the statistics I got from various sources, including the law firm we retain, were as follows:

$150,000 per plaintiff to defend all the way through trial (don't confuse this with the slightly lower figure to get to summary judgement).

Average verdict is $350,000 not including attorney's fees.

These figures are strictly for title VII related matters.

I hope this helps.

Gene

• Yes it does help, thanks. You don't by chance know where he obtained those stats do you?
  • Yes, the American Bar Association and personal knowledge. The firm does a lot of training, so it happened to be figures they have handy.

I know for a fact that the cost of defense figure is accurate, as I happen to be in the midst of one now. It is right on track to hit the $135-150K if we don't get summary judgement.

Good luck with this. I like your approach.
  • [url]www.eeoc.gov[/url] is an excellent source of statistics.