TB - again

Earlier this year, there was a post about possible TB in the workplace. My situation is a little different . . .
Employee walked in today and told her supervisor she tested positive for TB. But, we do not know yet whether she has active TB or is just a "carrier". We have a factory environment, close working quarters . . . employee returns to the doctor today to find out test results.
Do I (1) take some action now, and (1a) if so, what; or (2) wait for further results or for the health department to come in - and cause a real problem for the factory?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Her attending physician will be in control of your next move, so I'd wait to get that information. Most states require MD's to report TB to the local health department, but it's a fairly routine type of reporting. In all likelihood the employee has had a positive TB test with a latent TB infection. Whether or not medication is prescribed is up to the physician. Once you get the RTW information the employee will presumably be cleared thru your employee health area and all will be well.... It's seldom as serious as you might expect, but let the MD make that judgment.
  • I agree. Many people will initially test "positive" from the skin reaction PPD. This means nothing. It has to get confirmed by way of chest Xrays. Trust me on this, no need to panic.

I test "positive" all the time because of the type of vaccine I was given in the army which is based on the live virus. I have been exposed, therefore the PPD will always be positive. I just have to go get my lungs xrayed.

Let the professionals dictate your next course of action. Avoid panic and hysteria.

Gene