Acquisition of another company

I posted this in Benefits but didn't get many hits, and no responses, so am trying my luck here!

Thanks for whatever help you can give.

We are evaluating another company for possible acquisition. If the acquisition happens, the acquired company will keep their name but otherwise essentially become one with our company - same tax ID #'s, etc.

Of course the other company's benefits plans are very different from ours and for the first year we'd like to leave their plans "as is" to avoid "change trauma" as much as possible. We want to continue to offer their employees the same benefits they currently get, and after a year, combine the best of their and our benefits plans so all employees of the bigger-and-better company are offered the same options.

So - my question is this: Under one company, can we offer part of the staff one benefit plan, and another part of the staff another benefit plan? The biggest components include insurance, vacation/sick pay, 401k, product discounts.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am going to give the "it depends" answer we all love to hear. I think the 401K plan is an issue. The acquired company basically goes away - their 401K plan has been approved under their old federal ID number. I believe there are some technical issues operating a plan that is technically defunct without getting Fed approval.

As to the rest of it, assuming the are no CBA's to really make things sticky, I would think it possible to do what you are talking about. I view it as being similar to offering two tiered plans withing the same company - one for non-exempts and one for exempts.

Taking a year to evaluate the best features of the two benefit plans seems a bit much. Don't you think you could really do that in a couple of days at most? The logistics of combining two companies can be overwhelming and this is one of the big peices that adds a lot of complication, but it's part of the meal that is on the plate.

I think you should tackle it right away and eliminate that part of the uncertainty and confusion. Just my opinion.
  • I believe the new ees 401k plan may need to rollover their accounts to your 401k if you have one which you would have approx 2yrs to comply depending on discrimination testing. If you do not have a 401k then the new ees will receive a distribution which the new ees can rollover to another acct. You will need to check with the Feds to confirm.

As far as other benefits it is okay to offer different benefits to different depts or in this case companies as marc stated such as a tier plan.
  • Boy am I annoyed. I typed a sort of lengthy response, then when I clicked "post message" I was kicked over to the logon page. I never have to give my Forum password from my office computer. Now I have to start over. Aaarrrggghh.

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply, marc!

No CBA's. x:)

I am almost done comparing their plans to ours - and of course we could make changes NOW if we wanted to.

Our company has been through several changes in ownership in our 22 years, and the other company has never changed ownership in their 20 years. Many employees react to that kind of change with "what will happen to ME?" Only a few people at each of our companies know about the potential change so if/when it happens, it will be a surprise to most.

Because a change in ownership can cause uncertainty for staff, we wanted to advise them that their benefits plans will not change until year end (or whatever makes sense) except for closing out/rolling over 401k's. The idea is this will reassure the employees that while change is to be expected, they can at least feel comfortable knowing not EVERYTHING will change right away, especially the stuff that affects them and their families personally.

So again, my question is, can we offer two different sets of benefits plans to two different populations within one company? The populations would not be exempt vs. non. It would be those who work at one set of locations vs. those who work at the other set of locations, all in the same city, all for one employer.