Permanent Resident Status

We have a new co-op that has a permanent residents card. I've never had to deal with this before, but I know some of you have. My questions are:

1. When setting him up with payroll, he isn't considered a citizen or is he?

2. Is there any thing special I have to do in regards to payroll or new hire reporting?

Thanks for all the help.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If this person will be on your payroll they must complete the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form. They would not be a citizen but "A Lawful Permanent Resident (Alien # A ____)" which must be recorded at the top part of the form where they attest to their status. Make sure you see the back of this form for acceptable documentation that must be presented within three days of hiring.

New hire reporting is dictated by your state.
  • HRGIRL: You must do an I-9 form and record the information from his/her (2) documents provided. You can do a SSN, name, birthdate, and gender verification on the telephone with the SSA. Unfortunately, no one has been able to tell me if there is way to verify the work permit. If the I-9 is properly completed, then set the expiration date up for review at least 6 months out from the expiration date.

If the SSA rejects the SSN/name then send the concerned individual to the SSA for a correction of the record.

Do the W-4 and the State TAX form and all of your company enrollment forms and procedures.

Send the person on to her/his work station!

Have a Blessed Day!

PORK
  • Once again, the misinformation on this very same subject continues to spread at epidemic proportions.

You do not need a secondary form of ID provided they present a Permanent Resident card. Aditionally, you do not reverify a Permanent Resident card based on card expiration.

Gene
  • TN HR: On page 4 of my Handbook for employers, Instructions for completing the I-9, it covers Future Expiration Dates....."or on the employment authorization documents of aliens, including, among others, permanent residents, temporary residents, and refugees. INS includes expiration dates even on documents issued to aliens with permanent work authorizations"......"you will, however, need to reverify the employee's eligibility to work when any expiration date on the Form I-9 is reached!!!

You are right there is a lot of misinformation on this subject. But I think you have read me enough to believe that I might just have a corect point to make, which is not mis-information.

It also helps new HRs to realize that there maybe a need to verify through research or legal counsel before jumping on one horse or the other from the forum; unless of course the post is from DON, at which one can normally take the information to the bank and collect interest!

I did eat my PORK last night and may just swing by the old refrigerator this evening for another bite or two.

PORK
  • Pork, give me a break! What you just paraphrased is absurd! PLEASE re-read the manual and you will see that your alleged quote from Page 4 is twisted beyond belief! Once again, you have managed to convolute the topic and spread outright lies!

Here's a cut and paste from USCIS's web site, the proponent for the I-9, regarding this topic:

“GREEN CARDS”
    The terms Resident Alien Card, Permanent Resident Card, Alien Registration Receipt Card, and Form I-551 all refer to documentation issued to an alien who has been granted permanent residence in the U.S.. Once granted, this status is permanent. However, the document that an alien carries as proof of this status may expire. Starting with the “pink” version of the Resident Alien Card (the “white” version does not bear an expiration date), and including the new technology Permanent Resident Cards, these documents are valid for either two years (conditional residents) or ten years (permanent residents). When these cards expire, the alien cardholders must obtain new cards. An expired card cannot be used to satisfy Form I-9 requirements for new employment. Expiration dates do not affect current employment, since employers are neither required nor permitted to re-verify the employment authorization of aliens who have presented one of these cards to satisfy I-9 requirements (this is true for conditional residents as well as permanent residents).

We've gone round and round on this yet the misinformation is still pervasive. Please, can we end the madness?

YOU CANNOT REVERIFY THE EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION OF CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS REGARDLESS OF DOCUMENT EXPIRATION!!!!!!!

This is no different than asking Jane Doe to reverify her employment eligibility because you noticed the expiration date of her state-issued drivers license expired. Give me a break!

Gene