Workplace Violence Procedure

I am interested in developing a procedure for handling workplace violence situations.

We already have a zero-tolerance policy prohibiting any violence in the work place -- I am more concerned with have a plan in place on how to deal with situations.

(NOTE: my thoughts and prayers go out the the employees and H.R. professionals at the nearby Jeep plant in Toledo, Ohio.)

I'm wondering how some of you have handled this. My biggest question is that, with endless possible scenarios (what may happen, where it might happen, are we talking someone getting into a fight or someone coming with weapons, etc.) I cannot seem to figure a standard response.

Do we simply address how the managers and supervisors will communicate such a situation? Make tentative plans on what to do with our employees (evacuate? meet in the breakroom? either response may help or hinder depending on the situation)?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • HRanna-

Check out our Special Report on Violence in thh Workplace. You can download it for free (it's part of your newsletter subscription package) at: [url]www.hrhero.com/special_reports/index.shtml[/url]. Click on "workplace violence." The report will give you some good ideas and places to start when coming up with a workplace violence plan.

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • When we put together our policy on workplace violence, we augmented the whole thing with a mandatory training session given by a local captain in the County Sheriffs department.

The training gave lots of examples of ways to head off possible violence - from clients, staff, etc.

It also was very clear about getting real self-defense training and letting professionals handle the violence, if at all possible.
  • Our HRA chapter brought in a speaker last year from a company which specializes in this sort of thing. Everything from contingency planning to program development and staff training.

POPEYE, one of our esteemed members and elected official should have the contact info.

POPEYE?

Gene
  • The gentleman's name was Bob Weime and he owns his own security consulting company. He spoke on hostile terminations, threat assessments and handling critical incidents in the workplace.
    He does a lot of work for the NFL and has actually been a consultant for several SuperBowls.

However, I do not have specific contact information right now as he was brought in by our guest speaker. I do have a call placed to try and secure that info.
  • FYI update:

Bob Weime
    Specialized Security Consultants
    615-444-1455
  • Popeye is an elected official?!
  • I yam what I yam and that's the ELECTED secretary for the Human Resources Association of Middle Tennessee!!!!

• I thought he meant like Sheriff or Secretary of State. x:o
  • I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express a few weeks ago. Guess I could be whatever I wanted to be!
  • I personally believe that a workplace violence policy should be proactive as well as reactive. Sometimes once a situation has arisen, it is too late to protect an ee from sustaining an injury. Our policy not only addresses acts of violence, but the potential threat of violence. Someone making a threatening comment will have a behavioral interview conducted to determine if there is any legitimacy to the threat. This is handled by our security department, who are trained to do this. It is a big bonus to us and cuts down on a lot of the "posturing" that can come up between people.

Also, workplace does not fall under progressive discipline. First offense, an ee is discharged. This also sends a clear message that the employer will not tolerate this behavior.