Asking to work Saturdays

An employee is saying a former employer got in trouble for asking people to work on Saturday (not a regularly scheduled day) on Friday. He says it's a "state law" that they must be asked on Thursday. I'm checking our regs, but anybody heard of this?

How does the Office Space quote go? "Oh, and I almost forgot, I'm going to need you to come in on Sunday, too." (right after telling him to come in on Saturday). I think I'm going to have to pop that in tonight . . .

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In NY, you can ask anytime for volunteers to work OT, but demanding them to work OT requires 24 hours notice.
  • And, as I once had to explain to a supervisor, that is 24 hours before the start of the shift, not 24 before the end of the shift.
  • Hi HRCalico

I looked and I can't find anything that says it's a law, but then again the website for the state is hard to navigate. You probably already have this, but I would fly a call to the number listed in this link & ask 'em. Let us know what they say okay? x:-)

[url]http://www.dol.state.ne.us/nwd/center.cfm?PRICAT=4&SUBCAT=4G[/url]
  • HAHAHA I'm usually the one posting to call your friendly local DOL office! Good advice! th-up

I got transferred from the regs people to wage and hour and they said NO, there is no such law. I think everyone had some sort of plans to be "out of town", anyway.

As for me, I'm headed home to curl up with the Office Space video and some sort of beverage with a roaring fire and a purring cat. Pure bliss.

Thanks to all!
  • Excellent - and thanks for letting us know the result! I'm starting to feel a bit under the weather - darn cold coming on - Office Space, a blanket and a fire sounds great to me too! Want to hear something silly? Our marketing person actually owns a red, swingline stapler - we take it & hide it from her all the time x:D
  • It's five below outside now - thank goodness laughter warms the soul 'cause the body is thoroughly chilled!

I love the way the software file they load to steal the money is called "virus". Really, there are few lines in the whole movie that don't crack me up. And I wonder if there's anything better than enjoying a nice, cubicle-free view while consuming Pepsi and Cheetos while playing Tetris. Speaking of bliss! x:-)
  • Got the Office Space video for Christmas 2 years ago - it's one of my favorites.

I always thought reasonable overtime could be required and you know if NY allows it, albeit with a 24 hour notice, then it must be OK everywhere. But I would not be surprised if Minnesota, California, and Ohio also have notice requirements.
  • In this state, you can grab 'em by the shirt collar as they are about to enter their car after they get off, and they have to come back inside and work overtime.
  • We'll, not literally. I don't suggest any employer would do that, although it might be almost that, in a serious emergency situation. Our handbook says that inasmuch as possible, supervisors will attempt to advice employees by Thursday afternoon if Saturday work will be scheduled. But, often we find outselves not doing that until Friday. And it's not uncommon for employees to be told at the beginning of a shift that overtime will be required that day, usually 2 hours. Right now, and for at least 18 months, we're working 10 hour shifts, six days a week, required, with some Saturdays off rotated among workers. In manufacturing, lots of factors influence such decisions and they aren't all clearly on the table as soon as workers would like. Union contracts, obviously, are a different animal and those always have language limiting what the employer can do regarding overtime.

The New York law is another fine example of government's nose being where it should not be.