HR DataBase

we are moving towards a database and away from spreadsheets. we are looking at two products mainly ADP and Acentis. If any of you have any experience with these products or others that you could share I would appreciate it.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've had experience the the ADP product called "HR Perspective"; liked it!
  • We recently switched our 23 companies to ADP. Although we are the management company for all of our retaurants, they are each technically a separate legal entity (with separate paychecks). My gripes aobut ADP are specifically related to problems with restaurant employees having more than one position and rate each pay period and that ADP will only keep track of one rate. Mulitple positions also makes it hard to sort the employees. We have found that in order for the ADP Reports to be usable, we have to put all employees in one category rather than labeling them by position. Again, most employees have more than one position. Another small gripe is that to find an employee, I have to search each individual company, there is no way to do a search of all at once. Our payroll department has many more gripes than I do. I think the key is making sure ADP understands what you need to be able to do with the database and that you get all your questions answered before you make the switch. I think for 1 company that has employees with only one position and rate it would be a great data base. One more thing- our old database has a notes section in whick we could keep track of info like written warnings and multiple separations from employment. ADP has no area in which to make notes. We experience a high level of turnover and employees who leave and return (i.e. students and seasonal workers)and employees who work for a company in one town during the year and at another of our restaurants during the summer. Our situation is more complicated. ADP might be just great for your needs. Bottom line for us, we are relying on the employees paper file a lot more than we used to because ADP can't keep track of everything we need it to. It takes a lot more time to complete a verification of employment or reference check using paper files.
  • We switched from ADP to KRONOS last year because of HR recordkeeping issues with ADP and all the extra charges they are famous for tacking on when you need something "outside the box".

We brought payroll in house and designed an HRIS system, also in KRONOS. It also has its ups and downs, but it handles our HRIS needs much better than ADP.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-13-05 AT 02:54PM (CST)[/font][br][br]We have a love/hate relationship with ADP. The training, although plentiful, is not as hands on as is could be. I get in a bind because of something I do on my own, or because of something they tell me or don't tell me to do. They're not always really good at understanding fully what you want to do when you need to do something special in payroll. That's the hate part of the relationship. Then they help us fix the problem and they are sooo nice. That's the love part. We don't have a customer service rep. I complained about that. A guy came out to visit us. Good. He NEVER called or followed up with our concerns we mentioned in the meeting. Bad. I called his manager to tell him that the guy fell off the face of the earth. Manager said, "I'm sorry and I'll find out what happened." I NEVER heard from the manager again either. And this isn't the first time I've had spotty communication with a rep. I had one guy not show up for an appointment at our office to tell us about their products. And then, he didn't even remember to call us and tell us he blew off our appointment. I had to call his office and say, "Um, I hope you are OK, we were expecting you to come by today." I find their reports are very difficult to use.

For HR data base, we use People-Trak. The reports are easy to create. The customer service is excellent. There are many places to keep notes regarding employees, termination reasons and discipline actions. It's comparatively very inexpensive. Upgrades are generally free. I would love for People-Trak to come out with payroll, and I think that's something that's in the works.
  • We also use ADP. It is ok. They do have many different trainings, which is a good thing b/c you will use them. I don't like the fact that you can't report on everything that you input into the system. There are reportable categories and non-reportable. When pay rates change, it keeps a history, but only a certain number of times and then the oldest payrate it erased. (I think you have 6 lines for this)
    It really isn't a product that I would use solely for HR. I do have it, but ended up creating an ACCESS database for all the information I needed that I could not do in the HR part of ADP. Our payroll seems happy with it, which is why we still have it. I am going to a training to learn how to create reports (yes, I have used it for 2 1/2 yrs, but have not learned how to use reports yet) and will let you know how easy/hard the reporting system is. I have heard it is complicated though...............