First RIF

Preparing for a RIF, first time for me and so far it stinks. Can’t sleep, can’t concentrate, no appetite, hell, beer doesn’t even taste good.

Any insight from my Forum friends will no doubt help me through this event.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Your question is much too broad to answer due to the absence of so much info. Size of workforce; expected # of RIF's; history of RIF's at your org; governed by state/Fed WARN act; positions being earmarked; etc.... You will save some time if you search the forum for more info on this subject. It's been discussed frequently and is just too broad to try and answer in a para or two. Good luck......
  • Thanks; I know I didn’t include any info on the RIF in the post. Yesterday I did search the Forum, researched WARN and fired off several e-mails to our corporate office and to those in my organization that are higher up the food chain. I guess I was looking more for how to cope with the fact that I am the messenger and am about to totally change several lives with this event. I just can’t help feeling bad for these ee’s and their families. I’m just having a hard time coming to grips with this and keeping my sanity.

I guess I’ll start tonight with the 101 Turkey and see if it helps.

• You'll get through it safety. Just hang in there and take Don D's advice.
  • Keep your perspective, life will go on for all..sometimes even better

Scotch
  • Hey Safe: Had a college professor tell us that if a termination or lay off doesn't get to you, hang up your hat, you are in the wrong position.

My way of looking at it? You have no choice. It's a job that must be done. Better for it to be done by me than some "I'm glad it's you and not me" character with the sensitivity of a dead duck.

Then you soothe the mood with your favorite cocktail. Ahhhhhhh, nectar of the gods.
  • Been there, done that. It stinks. It's suppose to stink (otherwise you would not be a very decent person). Ultimately, the best thing to do is scotch. Actually, it's the second best thing (but the the best thing (which is smoked)is illegal). xhugs
  • That's a tough thing for you because you know it'll be tough for them. They'll know it isn't you but they may use you as a sounding board. You can't take it personally. Perhaps you can offer some referral assistance. Maybe convince the company to pay for group health for 6 months. No unemployed person can afford COBRA. There isn't much we can say except that we understand and feel for you. Best of Luck.

A six-pack of Miller Lite.
  • Know exactly what you mean. All the lives involved really prey on emotions. I made it through that first RIF by deciding that I could do nothing about the RIF. But what I could impact was education of the RIF personnel so that they would understand the severance package, COBRA, UI, etc., etc.

Maybe this approach didn't change anything, but I felt better because at least they were prepared to deal with the system.
  • During the past 3 weeks we have layed off 20% of our work force, so believe me I empathize. It is never an easy thing to do. I have been on both sides of the fence and for me delivering that kind of news is much worse than receiving it. I found that once the critera for the RIF was selected and I was satified that it was going to be as fair as possible, I was able to rest a little easier. Telling the employees was tough, but they all took it well.

Thank goodness we have not become so calloused that we can do this type thing and not feel the emotions that go with caring for other people as human beings.

• I did this three years ago to 417 of my friends (including my spouse). You have to take it one day at a time. It really never got easier, but I always out my brave face forward. I too was out of a job, but my job at that moment was to offer what help I could.

Because of the WARN Act we had to contact the California Employment Development Department (unemployment). They were wonderful! They offered to come on site and help employees file for unemployment as well as assisting them in finding jobs through their organization.

Because of the large number employees being RIFed, outplacement services were also available. They helped with resumes and doing mock interviews. If your organization can afford to offer it, it will make employees feel a bit better, and it will help ease your pain as well.

Again, get through one day at a time. Looking at the entire process can overwhelm a person to the point of being unable to cope.

Good luck!
  • Kidding and alcohol aside: The whole thing needs to be managed and controlled by one person much the same as an orchestra is directed by one person. Speaking from experience I recommend you: (1) Meet with affected managers to lay out the plan and discuss the finer points of what to expect and how to react, (2) plan out where the discussions will take place, in what rooms, at what time, what size group, how to get them there, how to cover their positions while they are in those rooms, (3) plan out who will say what to the group in the room, precisely, no ad-libbing, (4) have your handouts prepared; EAP number, payroll number, 401(k) number and info sheet, COBRA notice or statement as to when it will come, HR office number, and (5) Name and address of local UI office unless you can have those people on site, including their office hours and a statement as to why they are being put out of work, (6) remarks about rehire policy, recall policy if you have one.

If your state has a rapid response team, get them involved and on site. They will take a burden off your shoulders. Call Employment Security or whoever it is in your state.

The person required to orchestrate a RIF should be paid the same wages as an airline pilot or neurosurgeon. The job is terribly demanding and requires an inordinate amount of preparation, composure, maturity, knowledge, patience, leadership ability, parental demeanor and.....bourbon.

Don't be afraid to cry.
  • Hi Safety - I'm sorry that the situation at your company requires a RIF. x:-( My experience says that if it's the company's first one this year, there will probably be more throughout the next year or two. Sounds harsh, but that's my experience (although, maybe I've just had bad "luck"). Here's the thing, my friend, and I am in no way trying to minimize your distress here, just remember, IT'S ALWAYS worse for the employee than anything you are going through right now. Weird, but maybe you can find comfort in the fact that whatever you have to deal with right now (lack of sleep, etc.) is minor in comparison to what the ee will go through when they find out they have lost their job, their livelihood and/or career. So, have a drink tonight (heck, have two or three), unwind a bit, but most important - shake it off, because as soon as you have to deliver the news to your folks, they will need you strong, focused, professional and able and willing to answer any/all questions they might have - you'll have to be their rock until they can get home to their family/friends. It's never easy, it's hard, but you can do it. th-up