Violation of Ethics Policy?

Ok, I already know it is, but just wanted to run this by other HR Professionals and get your opinion. Got an "anonymous" package today, priority mail, express. Contained copies of emails received and sent by one of our employees clearly depicting an on-line "romance". Some content clearly unsuitable for transmission! In any event, just as an FYI, the employee is involved in an adultrous affair and apparently the spouse of the adulteree has stumbled upon the incriminating evidence and according to the anonymous note, is a friend of the informant blah blah blah. Generally don't give a second thought to anonymous information, however, the company email address is in black and white. I'm thinking at best the employee has violated our code of ethics as it relates to standards of conduct as a representative of our company, inappropriate use of company's email and network capabilities (and yes its defined in our code), and oh yeah, I'm sure use of the company issued cell phone. So, a meeting to notify the employee they've been busted and verbally warn to stop inappropriate use of company property is my first reaction. What do you think?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Geez, I really hate this kind of stuff. Puhleeze, people - keep it in the bedroom. Yuck. Hopefully the person having the adulterous affair is at least attractive so at least the visual in your head of this person saying or doing...what's described...is at least pleasant, but still...eww! Uck! Eww.

Okay, now that that's off my chest, there are probably more, but I think you've got a couple of choices:

1. Do nothing - shred it (so what if it has your company's name on it - it's not like they're going to send it to Fox News or the New York Times). Someone, is trying to hurt, defame or monetarily affect someone else (loss of pay, demotion, termination, etc.) - do you want them to achieve this goal through you? Forward the copy of the technology policy to everyone in the office & say something like: "Recently, it came to our attention that there was inappropriate use of the company paid for technology. As such, I am sending a copy of the policy to everyone & make sure you read it and understand it. Abuse can result in discipline up to & including discharge."

2. Haul the employee in & write 'em up (or whatever action you would do in this case) for abuse of company technology. You don't care about the "content" of the emails - other than you know it's personal & personal emails on company time with company resources is clearly against the rules.

For me, I wouldn't focus on the company conduct element in this situation. It's anonymous, it didn't come up through the channels at work, it wasn't brought up by a customer - as far you know, only you & the anonymous "pal" & the "happy" couples know anything. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you did okay? x:-)
  • I have to disagree with Mwild's analysis as stated in her last paragraph. Normally, I do not place much stock in anonymous complaints either - however, in this case you have direct evidence (e.g., hard copies of the e-mails) to rely on which clearly identify your company, the sender and receiver. I would proceed as Mwild suggested in option 2. The offender is obviously going to be chagrined that he's been busted and if you let him know you take this matter seriously, I doubt it will happen again. If it does, he's an idiot.
  • I agree with Parabeagle. Regardless of the physical appearance of the players and how soothing (or not) the vision of them making love may be, I would tend to give it all the least attention possible. Even if they're fat or deformed, at minimum, I would advise him that the documents have come to you and you expect him to abide by the company policy moving forward, period. No major embarassment, just deal with it and tell him don't use the company computer again in his romantic endeavors. If he doesn't learn from this wake up call, it's an IQ test. It's obvious that someone is out there trying to wreak havoc on the guy and the gal and blow them assunder on the downstroke. Re-affirm company policy and move on to other issues.

**When we do for others what they should do for themselves, we disempower them.**
  • In the main I agree with your response, except I don't see the "ethics" part. A corporate code of ethics usually deals with personal conduct in the execution of your duties as it relates to the company, not with whom you chose to sleep with. I would confront the EE based on the fact that he/she has been using company email inappropriately.
  • What you have described violates our office technology policies, and once you have been burdened with the information, you should act. I think a documented warning is appropriate. Put it in the files with the admonishment that future violations will result in more extreme discipline, including termination.

You have been burdened with the knowledge, to ignore it is to take the teeth out of your policy rendering it less effective.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-05-05 AT 12:27PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Thanks for the input. Why oh why are people so STUPID!!!! And I prefer to not "picture it" although the content of the emails is, well, graphic, and the individuals are, shall we say, "senior citizens". No more comments or word pictures please! Anyway, I'll be "visiting" with the employee shortly to share the info that's come to light and to again explain how company property is intended for company use, standards of conduct, etc, blah blah, and further explain that continuance of the correspondence via company email could be limiting to continued career success. Especially if the owner of the company gets a similar anonymous package.
  • I found myself nodding my head in agreement until it struck me that your definition of "senior" might be a couple of decades shy of mine. So just what age do you consider "senior?" If you consider the advent of the video game "Pong" the dark ages (if indeed that registers with you at all) then I think I'm in a little trouble.
  • Here's a different angle - how do you know the e-mails are legit? They are paper copies of e-mails, that may have actually been fabricated using a simple word processor. Could this anonymous source be trying to manipulate the employer into taking action against the employee who is schtupping (spelling?) his/her spouse?

Does your IT department keep a log of e-mails sent over the company's computers? You should be able to review this employee's history if it is kept to verify.

• This is also what I was wondering. Does your IT dept. have any records or do they randomly monitor/review emails being sent and received on the company system to ensure all the kids (young and old-er) are playing nice. Also do you require that all employees sign some sort of computer policy form stating they are aware of the policies regarding the use of the company computer system? If you have such a policy, what are the consequences for someone not following the rules?
    We have had this occur a few times and we just use our normal progressive discipline policy as we would for any other incident. Of course due to the nature of the event the first occurrence could result in termination.
    Good Luck...
  • On the other hand, kudos to the senior citizens who discovered the net and the technological advances allowing them to engage in electronic foreplay! (Wait! Did I say that?)

**When we do for others what they should do for themselves, we disempower them.**