New Hire Reporting for Michigan

We have had temp working for us through a staffing organization and just recently decided to hire this person directly. I know that, under Michigan law, when I hire a new person this must be reported to the state within 20 days of hire. Does anyone know if there are special conditions regarding reporting a temp-to-hire situation? Should we have reported to the state when she started as a temp, or is now the appropriate time to report?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not familiar with Michigan but here in Ohio we have to report all new hires. They say it is to catch deadbeat parents. In Ohio I only report someone we actually put on our payroll. I do not report any temps that we use through an agency. I would think that would be the temp agency's responsibility. Perhaps Michigan's requirements are different but I would presume it is probably for the same reason as Ohio's law.
  • I concur with mushroom. If I hire someone as "our" temp - on our payroll - then I report as a new hire. If they are being paid through the temp agency, I do not report. If we hire the temp and put them on our payroll, I record their full-time, regular date of hire (not temp date of hire) when I report them and use it for benefits.
  • In MD the ee would (I would) be reported as a new hire. It is also a status change. If one of our ee's goes from full-time to part-time or part-time to full-time, then I report it. It affects any medical benefits that might be due to any dependents from those deadbeat parents. The salary change would also effect how much in support payments are paid.