Pros/Cons of PreEmployment Physicals and Drug Testing?

Our company currently does not require pre-employment physicals and drug testing, however, we are thinking of adding it to our new policy handbook.

Can you help me come up with pros and cons for requiring this?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't do it here, but the pros have to do with being able to determine eligibility for hire with respect to having a clean drug test and that candidates are physically able to do the job for which they are applying. You get to know this information before making an offer thereby avoiding the cost of training, or costs associated with re-injuring a pre-existing condition, etc.

The cons would include the cost and time to administer this testing. If you narrow it down to a great candidate and they flunk one of your tests, you get to start over.

There is probably a lot more that others can fill in. Just thought I would start the ball rolling.
  • Marc: We need to be careful not to give nietra the impression that he/she can do pre-offer physical exams. Don's reasons for doing exams are a good compilation of reasons, and I'd emphasize one of them: If you don't to drug tests, the word will get out in the community that you don't, and guess who will apply to your company. But, physical exams can only be given post-offer.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-09-04 AT 06:05PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Reasons to require pre-emp physical/drug screen:
    1) Ensures, insofar as possible, that the candidate is currently not an illegal drug user.
    2) Ensures that the individual, according to the medical practitioner, is medically/physically qualified to perform the physical requirements of the job as defined in the job description your clinic has on file.
    3) Gives you a medical questionnaire against which you can compare future workers' comp ailments.
    4) Depending on the type physical, may give you a useful baseline for hearing problems.
    5) May help the candidate with medical counseling about conditions the candidate may need to pursue treatment for that would not necessarily preclude their employment.
    6) Drug screens comply with federal 'workplace drug/alcohol testing policies' required by federal contractors in some instances.
    7) Forms one leg of a three legged stool for administering a good drugfree workplace program.
    8) Sends a clear message to the labor force (and don't think they don't hear it) that this company drug screens potential employees, therefore cutting down on some of your wheel-spinning.
    9) I'll stop with eight, although there are probably six more.

Reasons to NOT have a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen/physical program in place.
    1) Maybe one will occur to me tomorrow. If it does, I'll get back with you.
  • Don, what are your other 2 legs for that 3 legged drugfree workplace stool? Random screens and testing for WC accidents?
  • Pre-employment, random and reasonable suspicion are the three legs of the stool. For seating challenged people, like yourself, the fourth leg can be post accident/incident.
  • >1) Maybe one will occur to me tomorrow. If it
    >does, I'll get back with you.

If you cancel your employment offer because of a physical disqualifier you've got ADA issues.
  • Before we get through, we may have a leather sectional with recliners on both ends instead of a 3 legged stool.

Having a drug-free workplace and instituting pre-employment screening will definitely affect your balance sheet positively for the following reasons:

38-50% of all WC claims are related to substance abuse.
    Substance abusers incur 300% higher medical costs.

Substance abuser are 2.5 time more likely to be absent 8 or more days a year.

Substance abuser are 1/3rd less productive

Employee morale knowing that the co-worker next to you is drug free increases, thus productivity increases.

Decreases turnover - saves $$$$$ in recruitment/orientation/training costs.

The physical aspect is very industry specific and the pros would probably be greater in manufacturing as has been stated.
  • 7a) Some states have discounts in workers' comp premiums for employers that have a drug-free workplace program. And in some states, employers who implement a full drug-free workplace program get out of workers' comp claims if a test immediately after the accident shows it was due to drugs. Some states have unemployment compensation presumptions helpful to employers who have implemented drug-free workplace programs.

Brad Forrister
    VP/Content
    M. Lee Smith Publishers