Can't trust a drunk

We have an ee that has been in/out of alcholol treatment for a long time. We send him on national engagments which is where a large portion of his salary comes from. We know he drinks while there in the evenings, and he "celebrates" when the job is over. But sometimes, ourselves or the customer will contact him during those times and he is in a slurred/repeated speech (read drunk)mode. He has been on probation before for this and controlled it during work hours.

He is part of what we sell (services), but we cannot trust him away from town for fear of his going on binges and representing us badly. I was considering a demotion and local work only. I would like your ideas or any other suggestions.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • For now, I would disregard the drinking issue altogether. Focus on the behavioral aspects that are reflecting poorly on his ability to adequately perform his job (read representing your company in a positive manner). Are you getting complaints from the customers calling and telling you that he's incoherent? Do you have documentation from your own people that they have contacted him and he's impaired when they talk to him? Has any inappropriate/embarassing behavior been documented?

I would approach the matter as outlined above and follow your progressive discipline policy. You avoid the issue of drinking altogether and focus purely on how his behavior or performance reflects poorly on the company (I think I just repeated myself - and I haven't had a thing to drink today).
  • Do you have a drug and alcohol policy? Is he violating it? You know he has a drinking problem, and you send him out of town for work. Do you allow him to rent a car for the purpose of conducting company business or as part of the travel? If so, and in his drunken state he ever has a wreck your company is on the hook....in a very bad way.
    I have respect for alcoholics who have battled and are in control of the addiction. He is not that, he is a liability to your company.
    Someone there needs to have the balls to replace him.
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman
  • My advice to you is to pick up the phone and call your attorney for a risk analysis regarding any decision to terminate. We recently faced the same issue and, depending upon the circumstances, an employee who has been in and out of rehab and still drinks may be considered disabled under the ADA. You should have all the info you can before making a decision to term.