Performance Reviews

I am looking for a basic list of "Do's and Don'ts" while conducting performance reviews to include into some training for new managers who will be conducting reviews for the first time as well as experienced managers who can use a refresher.

If you have anything that is simple and you feel would be appropriate, pls send to me at [email]helen.campbell@wfinet.com[/email].

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If anyone does have something along those lines I would also like a copy. Thanks!!!

[email]snewman@lighthousecredit.org[/email]

Have a GREAT day!
  • I, too, would like to have this information if anyone has it to share.

Thanks, Carole

[email]carole.owen@bgfh.com[/email]

• Here are a few guidelines I use:
    1. Fill out the performance evaluation form using examples, not generalities (don't use "satisfactory performance", instead "sets priorities, meets deadlines, etc."). If the employee works for more than one supervisor, get feedback from all supervisors.

2. Schedule a meeting with the employee when both of you can discuss the performance feedback with no interruptions. Allow at least a half-hour for this discussion. Put your phone on "do not disturb", and give your full attention to the employee.

3. Allow the employee to participate in the discussion. After you have addressed the points you feel necessary, give him/her the opportunity to give you feedback on how he feels about how he is doing in his job. What problems are keeping him from meeting or exceeding your expectations?

4. Discuss together and set mutual actions that are required for the employee's success. Maybe he needs more computer training, leadership training, even anger management. Whatever is needed should be agreed upon.

5. The areas we cover in our performance evaluations are: Job Knowledge, Planning and Organizing Work, Flexibility/Adaptability, Interpersonal Skills, Manual Dexterity, Quality of Work, Quantity of Work, Initiative, Dependability, Teamwork (both within the work group and outside the work group but within the company).

Each category is rated on a 1 - 10 scale from "does not meet expectations" to "exceeds expectations", and each reuqires an example that explains the rating and an explanation of developmental needs. This is for an annual performance evaluation upon which the increase in salary is based (if applicable).

Sorry this is so long. It may not be what you wanted, but I hope it helps.