Direct Deposit

I have about 1000 employees scattered from one end of Mississippi to the other. Can I require that they have direct deposit and then just mail their pay stubs to their home addresses.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • unfortunately, no. mississippi law does not provide for an employer to mandate a method of payment. even if you require direct deposit as a condition of employment for applicants, they can change once hired. no one has yet tried to sue based on termination for failure to agree to DD and it would be interesting to see if our "at will" rule would survive this challenge.
    Peyton Irby
    Editor, Mississippi Employment Law Letter
    Watkins Ludlam Winter & Stennis, P.A.
    (601) 949-4810
    [email]pirby@watkinsludlam.com[/email]
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-30-04 AT 12:17PM (CST)[/font][br][br]We're mandatory direct deposit and have employees all over the US, but no one in Mississippi so I don't know about that state.
  • Do what we do. Do not mandate it, just recommend it, and make it clear if you do not choose it your check will be mailed, and at the mercy of the US Post Office. For those who do not sign up, they usually do after the first check is lost.
    My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Although we encourage our employees to sign up for direct deposit, it is not mandated. However, for those who decline, we do mail their actual paycheck to their home address on file. That is a big incentive to sign up! Especially when the check doesn't arrive until Saturday.