Event etiquette training

Just wondering if anyone out there has conducted training class with their employees regarding etiquette at company functions. If so, can you please email it to me at [email]snewman@lighthousecredit.org[/email]. Reason I am asking is because...

I attended a function today for Doorways (we sponser an organization that provides assistance to under privledged kids to attend college) And when we were called to receive our award a few of the employees whistled (LOUDLY) and one employee thought she was Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman at the polo event and swung her arm in the air said "Whoop-whoop-whoop".

Any help would be appreciated! I hope you all are having a GREAT day!

Shelley

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ah yes, number one rule: If beans are served, never sit within five feet of a blue flame.

Your post makes me think of high school and college graduations where no matter how many instructions you put out, no matter how many speeches you say it in, no matter how many notes you send home to parents, no matter what threats are issued, you still have the assorted bronx cheers, the screams and shrieks, the airplanes floating, the mooning the streak behind the stage, the family wave motions in the stands. How do we teach people to take off their ball caps for the National Anthem or not park in the handicapped spaces at Wal-Mart? What is it they say about 'silk purses'?
  • >What is it they
    >say about 'silk purses'?

That you can't make them them out of a sow's ear. Although perhaps we should defer to Pork, our expert on All Things Swine (swinery finery?), before making a final pronouncement on that.

But I digress. NoHR4U, I'm afraid you might be fighting a losing battle. If you come up with the magic formula for making employees (or anyone else) behave appropriately at public events, I'll be your own personal venture capitalist for the bottling operation. Meanwhile, be happy that their outbursts were at least of a positive nature, if not as dignified as befitted the occasion.

• This is expected at some award ceremonies and not at others. One just hopes the EEs are cognizant of their surroundings and have not partaken to much at the hosted or no-host bars. Some people are more brash than others, just attending any sporting event will tell you that - and the folks that paint their faces and wear costumes are the same ones that will use any occasion to whoop it up.

When we buy tables at these events, we just have a private word or two to those that get the seats about the image we want to portray and let it go at that. Sometimes, it's OK to be boisterous.
  • I get boisterous when Marc reappears after a one month absence! Where you been?!
  • Really only gone a few days to Sun City to visit Mom and Dad. Dad turned 81.

I have only been lightly posting of late, no real reason, just very little to add to the threads by the time I have gotten to them.

I have been reading most of them, although later in the day than usual. Some very enlightening and entertaining stuff, especially the political discussions.

• Don,

I liked your first post - hopefully I will not have to be a witness to one of my employees bare bootie dashing across the stage at our Christmas party! Oh well...even though I don't had any children I guess from now on I will have to do lay down the ground rules prior to each event and if anyone get unruly put them in the timeout chair.

I hope you all have a GREAT day!

Shelley
  • And all this time, I thought Julia Roberts was "woof"ing.

Just a humble opinion, your post to me said that your employees are proud of their workplace and accomplishments. That's a good thing! However, I'm sure the situation did not warrant their enthusiasm.

No suggestion, but a commiseration: our Christmas party has seen the following issues: no more open bar (well, that's a good idea, anyway) because one employee (supervisor!) had too much to drink and heckled the entertainment, a local community players group that will not return to our Christmas party. A few years later, we implemented tickets for drinks. One employee (not a supervisor, but a lead worker) got a roll of the tickets and handed them out freely. The following year, we made tickets and I think he got ahold of them somehow, and again handed out freely. The following year (last year), his son showed up to take one home to scan and print, although I believe it was caught in time. My prez swears that they hauled him in for a "discussion" after last year's party, and hopefully he learned a lesson. I am hoping to not have to do any "policing" this year, and it's silly that I might think I should have to do so.

After typing this, I am quite tempted to start suggesting an alcohol-free party . . .
  • We have alcohol free Christmas parties for hourly employees right down the hall from the lounge so some of our employees sneak booze down the hallway. I don't really have a problem with that. The hotel doesn't mind so much as long as there isn't a constant stream of people up and down the hallway with alcohol. The Christmas party for memebers of staff is at a very nice local restaurant and everyone is told before the event - 2 drinks only. This came about because one of our previous managers brought his alcoholic wife (she really was) and she heckled everything all evening. Our CEO was there so it was embarrassing for everyone.
  • I took a double take when I saw this post.

I am in the midst of finding etiquette training for our staff. Our 10 year anniversary is in February. We are having 2 very swanky openhouse/cocktail parties for our clients. The majority of our staff is pretty young. We are focusing on proper body language, how to start and end a conversation, how to make introductions, as well as rto emember they are not there to get drunk but to network and get more business. You only get one chance to make a impression.

Good luck on your quest!
  • My father (91 on Saturday) use to tell us that in 1934 when he was hired for a sales position, his boss took him out to lunch regularly - to teach him how to attend a business luncheon, walked him through how to attend a cocktail party, reviewed his first speech with him - so when he was on his own, representing the company, the company knew what to expect. Can you image taking someone right out of college today and trying to teach them to properly? Actually, this is what I always invision a good mentor to be.
  • Good recollection of your Dad's remark. My dad would be 88 if still living. I remember him telling us how the people at his first sales job did virtually the same kind of mentoring. I also remember watching him shine his shoes every night of his life. I wonder how many men today even know what a 'shoe shine kit' is. the white handkerchiefs folded in a row in his top dresser drawer would be another story entirely.
  • My father would be 75 if still alive and I remember him having ME shine his shoes for him. I have a great shoe shine kit and parts of the kit came from his so, every time I shine I remember him with a smile on my face.
  • I have had something like this happen before but luckily just in front of their peers (which may have been worse.) It was years ago, but one thing we did was have a lunch and learn and have someone from outside the company come and teach it. (If my memory serves me right, it was around the holiday time.) I felt that if I or anyone else from the company tried to teach it employees would think that we were a snob. We did highly encourage any employee who dealt with clients (outside the company whether on the phone or in person) to attend. I can't remember exactly, but I found the person either through calling a Junior League and they knew someone, contacting a department stor, or through a referral. It was great. They covered office etiquette as well as how to meet people and how to handle different situationss (getting on and off elevators, parties, eating meals, etc.) Actually turned out to be a lot of fun and I think employees appreciated it.
    E Wart
  • Thank you E Wart!

I hope you all have a GREAT day!
  • We have included in our 'travel' policy:
    "Employes traveling on Bank business are representatives of the Bank and are expected to maintain a high level of professionalism and follow all of the Bank policies and rules."

This could be adapted to any meeting or event when the employees are representing the company.