Someone's Out to Get Him

The owner of the company and the President of the company have each received letters within the past week, outlining alleged misconduct by the Vice President of Production. The letters appear to be from the same person, as they are hand-written, mailed several days apart, and they contain information that only someone employed here would know. The letters have been shown to the VP, and we are satisfied with his explanation of each instance. We have known for some time that there is resentment/jealousy against this man, as he has been promoted over the years from a production worker to a manager/executive.

None of us has any concrete evidence as to who is doing this. Has anyone had a similar problem and do you have any advice as on how to find out who is sending the letters? Thanks!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I assume the letters are anonymous, if so, ignore them. They are just malicious attempts to make someone else have a bad day.
  • This is almost an exact posting to one that came up a couple of months ago. I would investigate the allegations and if after the investigation your results don't reach the same conclusions as what's stated in the letter then just file it & chalk it up to discontent on behalf of the anonymous letter writer. Perceptions aren't always reality.
  • Any ideas on trying to find out who's doing it??
  • You said the notes are handwritten. Did you try to do a handwriting comparison? Check them against time sheets or any other documentation you have that is also hand written.
  • My experience is that it will have been written at the kitchen table by the wife of the guy you already pretty much know is behind it.
  • I agree with Don - in fact I just had a WC claim where the wife of the injured worker wrote his letter...

Ideas - nope. For me, I think it would be a waste of time and money to continue to pursue this thing. Although, I like Ray's idea of hand writing analysis maybe you could also send the letter off for DNA testing as well x;-). If any other letters come in with the same claims, I would just file 'em. If you guys are satisfied that in your investigation nothing of merit was found, be done with it and move on. Being me though, I would probably put something out in an email or in the next newsletter on the policy for reporting dissatisfaction with the company or abuse - it would be a benign blurb - this way the letter writer knows they need to either stand up or shut up. You're going to have to do what's right for your company though based on the tone and content of the letter - I just don't particularly like anonymous letters...
  • I would have spent some time looking into the allegations (which you did) although without someone willing to come forward and make a legitimate complaint, I'm not sure I would take much action. Kind of like anonymous letters to the editor - newspapers don't print them! If, in the investigation, you found some misconduct and people willing to go "on the record" about it, then move on it.

If you have an official grievance procedure, you might post it or make reference to it in a newsletter, etc. Otherwise - sour grapes. You can't please everyone all the time, and if you're satisfied with your VP's performance, then fine. You might have him respond to the letters in writing just to cover your hiney.