Retention Goal

I have recently begun tracking employee retention, which we chose to calculate by looking at the employees who were employed (for example) last October and determining the percentage that were still employed this October. So far, so good (October was 88%, in case anybody is wondering).

My president asked me what a goal would be, suggesting 92%. I think that is fine, although I don't feel that I have a great deal of control over retention.

Anybody want to share their goal and how they feel they are able to impact it?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Actually you do have some control over retention...one of the main reasons employees leave is because of management and how they are treated. If employees don't feel they are respected, if they feel their input regarding policy/procedures don't count, as well as their "feelings" they will go elsewhere. It's not always because someone else is "showing them the money".

I think I have a survey somewhere around here that asks employees "what's important to them in the workplace" If you give me your email address I will forward it to you. You may be suprised...

The majority of my companies employees are in the call center...we have only had 7 people leave (voluntarily) since January of last year!

I hope your day is going well!

Shelley
  • May I have a copy? [email]6127@myway.com[/email] Thank you for sharing
  • Thanks, Shelley, I started to type something about that in my post but couldn't get it to come out right. I try to make a round on our production floor once a day or so in case people want to stop me, and I do things like saying good morning/hello and calling everyone by name, and checking in with my new hires a few times over the first few weeks. I also make the promise in orientation and have followed through to the best of my ability to address anything that is brought to my attention. Sometimes there isn't much I can do about things, though.

I'm interested to see your survey - [email]lkuehn@rpm-composites.com[/email] - I did a morale survey in March and it stomped on MY morale! x:'( We were able to address the one thing that got the most comments simply by firing my biggest attendance problem, about the time we implemented a policy manual so they knew their boundaries. I have seen some improvements, but I also think I see things a little rosier than they are. We will be having a changing of the guard in a few months with a new production manager and that will be pretty darned interesting.

Thanks again.

Oh, and Don - yes, this is pretty much the opposite of turnover. My prez says to accentuate the positive - I think my touchy-feely HRness is rubbing off! I think he picked 92% with no real basis other than it would be an improvement over now. We didn't feel the need to do a SMART goal on this yet. I was just curious to see some numbers on what others are shooting for. I have researched the turnover rate threads, but as I recall, my patience ran out before I found much in the way of numbers - it was more for format.
  • Isn't a retention rate only the exact polar opposite of a turnover rate? You might do a search on here for 'turnover rate' and see some interesting discussions of the pros and cons. The interesting thing about goals, such as the one set by your president, is that such a goal is hollow, has no definition, no thoughtful basis and is not relative to anything in particular. If you don't believe me, ask him how he arived at it. He won't have the foggiest notion other than 'it just feels right'.