Pre employment accuracy test

I am interviewing for an HR Assistant to do payroll. Many people say they are detail oriented, but it seems that once you hire them, you find out that they really aren't.

Do any of you have a test that you give that tests accuracy? Is it something you can fax or e-mail to me? My fax is 913/982-1534.

Thanks!

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I know of no such test. If I were hiring a person to do math I might give them a column of numbers to add on paper quickly or something like that or make them show me how they would be able to mechanically handle math detail accurately.

If being 'detail oriented' were important to me in an HR Assistant I would first assess what level of detail I need in my department, what it is I feel requires a serious degree of detail orientation. Then I'd ask the candidate to describe to me how she/he would do that task. That's the only way I know to assess whether they have the degree of detail orientation I feel is necessary.

For example: "I require a monthly report that will show me at a glance all employees by name, length of service, department and job title who are in the FMLA pipeline, by application date, whether approved or not, how long the've been out, whether intermittent, time remaining and whether their job is temporarily filled." I might give them that scenario on paper and ask them to give me an idea of how they would provide that to me and in what format. That would show me something about how detailed they might be.

Being detailed, I think, is really all about having superior organizational skills and critical thinking skills. Then I might tell her that "Your office, if you're hired, is a 10x13 box with two file cabinets and a couple of others in the foyer. Here are examples of the 'stuff' you're responsible for filing, organizing and maintaining. How would you arrange your space so that you and I both could find things readily?" Be creative yourself. Tell her to use the dry-erase board to illustrate it for you. See if she can stand up and make that simple presentation comfortably. After all, we should all hire our own replacement.