Resident Alien Card

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-02-04 AT 04:33PM (CST)[/font][br][br]OK EVERYONE here comes a question that has just happened and I would like your input on resources!

We have finally had an applicant and interview/with job offer at one of our remote locations of a previous employee, who was discharged for never returning from a suspension to get a social security number and name mismatch corrected by SSA.

This time, he returns as a totally different person, new name and social security number. I was amazed when I did my on-line verification of the social security number, name, Birthdate, and gender, much to my surprize it was validated. At this point I continued the enrollment process and he went to work this date as a resident alien.

Now my question: is there a system out there that allows for the verification of the Resident Alien card? Is there an ethical position in our world that says that I must go the next step and verify the Resident Alien card. I have an assumption/information that the person named and identified by ssn is not necessarily the same person pictured on the Resident Alien Card!!!Based on what I posted earlier to day I have information, yet incomplete and I feel driven to do something positive with the information!!!

Your input would be appreciated, especially if you know a route to take for validation of the card in question.

May we have a Blessed evening and a great tomorrow with out further concern for elections.

PORK

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON
    >11-02-04 AT 04:33 PM (CST)[/font]
    >
    >OK EVERYONE here comes a question that has just
    >happened and I would like your input on
    >resources!
    >
    >We have finally had an applicant and
    >interview/with job offer at one of our remote
    >locations of a previous employee, who was
    >discharged for never returning from a suspension
    >to get a social security number and name
    >mismatch corrected by SSA.
    >
    >This time, he returns as a totally different
    >person, new name and social security number. I
    >was amazed when I did my on-line verification of
    >the social security number, name, Birthdate, and
    >gender, much to my surprize it was validated.
    >At this point I continued the enrollment process
    >and he went to work this date as a resident
    >alien.
    >
    >Now my question: is there a system out there
    >that allows for the verification of the Resident
    >Alien card? Is there an ethical position in our
    >world that says that I must go the next step and
    >verify the Resident Alien card. I have an
    >assumption/information that the person named and
    >identified by ssn is not necessarily the same
    >person pictured on the Resident Alien
    >Card!!!Based on what I posted earlier to day I
    >have information, yet incomplete and I feel
    >driven to do something positive with the
    >information!!!
    >
    >Your input would be appreciated, especially if
    >you know a route to take for validation of the
    >card in question.
    >
    >May we have a Blessed evening and a great
    >tomorrow with out further concern for elections.
    >
    >PORK
    >
    >

Peyton Irby
    Editor, Mississippi Employment Law Letter
    Watkins Ludlam Winter & Stennis, P.A.
    (601) 949-4810
    [email]pirby@watkinsludlam.com[/email]
  • I have not come across any system that verifies Alien cards but if you do please forward the information on.

Also, Pork in CA. we are not suppose to call the SSA prior to hiring for verification of SSN. Apparently, we have to hire an illegal then check their SSN.
    I guess we can lie and say we did when we didn't so we don't hire them and then we don't get fined for hiring them in the first place.

Does this make sense to anyone?

• INELSON: My company is the test company for an on-line SSA number, name. birthday, and gender verification system for employers and SSA. I do not check for a match until a job offer has been made and the individual accepts. At our remote sites, the manager interviews and decides among his/her interviewees to whom he/she wants to make an offer. Sometimes the individual is put to work and HR then travels to the remote location and enrolls the individual or suspends the individual if there is a mis-match, we then send the individual to the SSA to get the mis-match corrected. With illegals they have never before returned.

I think I recognize the individual from three years ago and many/many enrollments. The SSN, name, Birthday, and gender match and the signature matches that on the Resident Alien card. To clear my concerns for recognititon and the apparently correct documents, the verification of the Resident Alien Card and picture sure would make me feel, we have done everything that we should do and then I'll move on.

I will not make a mistake and cause a National Origin discrimination charge to come upon our company with a simple "belief in my recognition and run the guy off"! If there is no formal method of checking the Resident Alien Card, then I must accept the individual as legit and move on!

Boy did we have a long long night?

May our day be Blessed, please remember in your personal thoughts our armed forces, as they take on a major battle in Iraq. Having been in their shoes it is a very lonly place to be. May God watch over each and every one of them and us too!

PORK
  • Apparently Peyron Irby and Marc have a different communication system from the one I am using.

I would say that if you know the individual is the same person who was earlier terminated for falsification of documents, you should run his ass off.
  • The guys who have returned to us as a different person have often assumed someone else's legal identity, their dad, a brother, a friend, someone they know has valid ID. (Has this person's birthdate changed? That would be a good thing to check and is a give-away.) Err on the side of caution and call the former INS office in your area.
    The funniest, or maybe saddest thing I saw was a group of five guys looking for work. My supervisor and I looked over their SS cards and green cards and realized that all five had the same fingerprint! What a mess. When in doubt, I agree with Don. Run him off.

• Sounds to me like you are going over and beyond the call of duty. I understood that you are not required to be document experts. That you should be held to a reasonableness standard. If you accept something that appears genuine or is genuine but doesn't belong to the person who present it, the employer will not be held responsible as long as the document reasonably appeared to be genuine or related to the person presenting it. Otherwise, call your nearest Immigration field office or the Office of Business Liason.
    I have too many other things to do than to dig deeper than I need to.

E Wart
  • By the same token, if you get a clean background check back on a candidate you know to be a felon, do you accept it and move on?

I have an obligation to my employer, in this context, to not only do what is legal, but to not make foolish judgement calls that I know will cost my employer money in the long run. Sooner or later, the systems will catch up with him and Pork will be terminating him. Then, have you not wasted your time, energy and resources hiring, orienting and training a new employee knowing that you are going to have to do it all again at more expense?
  • Pork --

Do you have a policy in place stating that if an employee lies on an application, it is a terminable offense and the employee is not eligible for rehire? We have such a policy in place and this has prevented us from facing your dilemma. Obviously, this gentleman lied on his first application and with such a policy in place, he would not be eligible to come back under a new name.

This type of policy may also prove to be a problem. Case in point--we had a good worker who worked for us for approximately three years. He came to us and admitted to working under an assumed identity and then told us that he had successfully completed the process necessary in order to legally work in the US but now he had a different name. Unfortunately, per our policy we had to terminate his employment.

• HRMAIDEN: Yes, we do have a policy in place; however, it is I that has a vision of the individual and believe that he may or may not be one of our previous employees but I can not remember what his name was previously and I have gone over our SSN roster to see if it may jump out and grab me, but it did not. I had the same thoughts with another X-employee and I was wrong. I simply do not trust my personal knowledge with personal identification without legal document assistance. If I could verify the information on the Green card, I believe I could connect my concerns and personal information with our record files.

This was my question "is there a method of verifying the green card?"

Thanks for everyone's advise, but I am still looking for a means of verifying the green card!

PORK