Fitness for employees

We're expanding and considering alotting space for a "fitness area" for employees. We'll have a waiver and posted "use at own risk", but do any of you have a fitness area and what do you do to mitigate liability?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I doubt if a sign saying "use at your own risk" will save your company from any risk.
  • We have a weight/exercise room upstairs and require that anybody using it sign a waiver. Although I have no idea if that waiver has any value. I'm more worried about all the equipment coming through the ceiling than I am about someone getting hurt using it.
  • I work at a school, and staff are allowed to use the gym, track, and weight room when they're not in use by students. Our attorney wrote a waiver/"participation agreement" that ee's must sign, and she's satisfied that it provides adequate protection. However, we have the added protection of a state law which immunizes schools from most tort claims.

I would suggest that in addition to the standard waiver language, include an agreement that the user abide by certain safety rules (e.g. cannot work out alone) to be eligible for continued use.
  • As my dad used to say regarding liability, "Just because you post a sign don't make it so..." You most definitely are liable to provide a safe environment regardless of posted signs & waivers. While its a great idea that employees would probably appreciate, I'd include an attorney in the planning.
  • I have also seen company-sponsored fitness programs require a physical and doctor's certification for participation.
  • We have a weight room and our attorney's drafted a letter that all ee's have to sign stating that they are using the equipment at their own risk. Plus we are not allowed to work out alone.
  • I would advise contacting your carrier of liability insurance and get their input. Also, you might want to add something to the effect that any injury sustained would not be workers' comp.

Our company was going to set up a workout facility onsite, but finally decided instead to offer discounts on memberships at gyms, paying a year membership upfront, then letting the employees have it deducted from their checks over a 12 month period.
  • We have an on-site fitness center...it's been in operation for nearly 7 years....so far, so good!

We do have ee's sign a waiver and we bring in a personal trainer each quarter to assist ee's in developing a routine and learning the equipment.

• I would agree to the suggestion that employees have a physical with certificate before beginning any new fitness program. In addition to the suggestions listed above I would consult with a good trainer to determine what types of equipment you plan to have available. Free weights versus stack-weight gyms or other resistance training equipment, cardio equipment, ect.
  • Zen's suggestion makes sense. I know before participating in school sports, students have to get a physical. It's a good idea for them and a good idea for an employer.