update on tracking ee hndbk

Hi everyone, just wanted to give you an update on what happened. I sent out the memo that explained how to go about finding the revisions in the hndbk and attached a hndbk revision form that needs to be signed and returned to me. Now this is our first revision since the hndbk has been out and our handbook is on our intranet which every ee has access to. We do not make hard copies for the ees and they have the option of printing it out themselves. I will try to make this short. I presented the revisions to the 4 decision making managers (one being my boss who is everyone's boss) before I released anything. I asked for their feedback, suggesstions, etc. but received none after one week. Therefore, I went to my boss and asked him if he had looked it over and what he thought. My boss told me he thought that the revisions were good and move forward with it, I told him that none of the other mngrs replied with anything and he really didn't seem to care about that. Hence, I went ahead and released the memo w/the attachment that needs to be signed and returned.

One of those 4 managers sends me a long e-mail today saying that there should of been a hard copy of the changes and then maybe it should be highlighted on the e-copy of it b/c it is too difficult to compare the policies and find the revisions (our longest policy is 1 page in length). I don't want the handbook to end up w/several hightlights on there and I don't think I should have to print it out for everyone if it is so easily accessible, that is why we did electronically. Along with that she was questioning many of the revisions and why. I responded to her trying to answer her questions but she had the oppt. to do that beforehand and didn't.

Did I go about this wrong? Sorry for the long post, I'm just upset, she has done this to me in the past, I don't mind the questioning or the explaining, that is my job to a certain degree. I feel that she should have came to me with all of this before I released it to the ees. Oh yeah, she also says that everyone was questioning these things and they all went to her when I know that it is only her mother and mother-in-law (yes, they all work here) talking about me and the work I perform. That eventually is going to get to other ees though and make me look bad. Help!!!!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In the memo you issued, was there a date when their responces or questions needed to be received?

Regardless, you published the handbook with your boss's approval. Tell the boob that you will note her remarks, and if appropriate, will incorporate them in the NEXT revision. Also, be sure to tell her that you will, once again, include her on the list to review the revisiions before distribution.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You can please some of the people some of the time. You cannot please all the people all the time. That's what HR is all about.
  • No, not in the memo. I have already received more than a few and asked if they had any questions and thus far all the responds have been "nope" as they casually drop off the revision form.

But on the e-mail to the managers I did specify a time period of one week to get back to me.
  • If you specified a reply time, you've done all you can do. You could blind copy your boss on your response to her and say that it would be helpful to get the suggestions before you rolled everything out and remind her of the email and the deadline you set. It may piss her off and she may work harder to undermind you but at least your covering your aXX for now.
  • In South Carolina, employers were recently required to reissue their handbooks as of July 1, 2004 to include what the law considers a "conspicuous disclaimer". Under the law this meant the disclaimer had to be bold, in caps and underlined. Even though disclaimers have been used for years, we were still required to do this "reissue".

Our handbooks is on line, but to be in compliance, I printed out a copy of the front page of the handbook, showing the disclaimer and also an acknowledgement that the employee had received the disclaimer and understood that employment was at will and "blah, blah, blah". They were required to send back both pieces of paper for their personnel files.

Also, on our on-line handbook, I had our IS people devise a "pop up" so that when the handbook is accessed, the pop up states that by accessing the handbook, the reader acknowledges that they understand employment is at will, etc. and so on.

Whenever we have an update on the handbook, the changes are sent out via email to all employees.

In your case, the supervisors were given the opportunity to respond but didn't. You boss gave you to go ahead to publish the handbook. I believe you handled this properly. If she has an issue, she needs to talk with the boss about it.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-22-04 AT 02:15PM (CST)[/font][br][br]No, it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. You are the HR "expert"; it is your job to maintain the handbook; and you had approval of the big guy to move ahead. I would've just told miss nosy body that I would make a note of her concerns to consider for the next revision as this one was approved and released, and as for hard copy, not necessary as it is accessible on the Intranet, than you for the input, goodbye. Our company policy where I work is that employees must retrieve all information, including forms, via the intranet, to ensure they are getting the latest and greatest. The only paper document you need is the signed acknowledgement form.
  • It does frustrate me when I receive a revision and don't know what's been revised. It's time consuming to have to print out something and lay it beside the document that's being updated to try to sort out what has changed. Although you asked for their comments and gave a deadline, it might have been helpful had you either highlited the revisions or somehow mentioned them in a summary comment.

It's a nightmare to receive a document of any sort with the byline, "Read this carefully. It's changed".
  • One thing we do when sending out revised policies, etc is to first send out an email indicating where they can find revisions. For example "the new handbook is coming out next week. Please see section XYZ as some policies have changed. " That allows the reader to flip to the sections they need to see right away without you having to go through highlighting every single thing that has been updated.

You sent it out with your boss' blessing, she had an opportunity to comment and didn't, shame on her. Don't let one complaining you-know-what spoil your day.