CO Law on Protection of SS Numbers

Has anyone in CO (or other states) come across a new addition that CO has made to the CO Consumer Protection Act? I received a notice from one of my company's public sector customers which stated the new law "specifically requires these entities [private and public sector employers] to develop a destruction policy for documents with social security numbers, personal identification numbers, passwords, passcodes, state or government-issued driver s license or identification card numbers, passport numbers, biometric dates, employer names, student or military identification numbers or financial transaction devices. The new law became effective on August 4, 2004. What does this mean for Colorado employers? Both public and private sector employers should establish a policy directing personnel records and any other documents with personally identifying information of employees to be disposed of in a manner designed to prevent someone from obtaining or stealing this information. This could include shredding, incinerating, or redacting information from documents."

Doesn't this negate some of the federal guidelines that we are supposed to follow such as guidelines for I-9 documentation, etc.? I don't have a problem verifying for employees that we would keep this information under "lock & key" however I am surprised that they would suggest destroying and/or redacting (blacking out) information such as this on legal documents.

I am currently researching this item however I was curious if any other employer has come across this issue yet. Thanks.

Comments