Dilute samples

We have an applicant who has a "dilute sample" on his pre-employment non- DOT urine drug screen. We do not have a policy in place for a "dilute". Suggestions?
THANKS...and have a great week-end!

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What is a dilute sample and does it effect the accuracy of the test?
  • My understanding is that a dilute sample means the person over-consumed fluids before the test, which could have either been innocent or a deliberate attempt to tamper with the test results. I don't have a policy on this either, but my gut instinct would be to re-test after informing the applicant that a second dilute sample will result in a withdrawal of the conditional offer of employment. But before doing any of the above, I would chat with the MRO about whether there's any reason for a dilute sample that would be beyond the person's control.
  • An immediate retest. A second dilute equals a no-hire.
  • Look at the creatinine level also and the specific gravity. A dilute sample with a very low creatinine level is an indication that the testee used an agent to rinse his/her system with an antitoxin. Our policy says "acceptable" drug screening result. When the test result is "dilute," we can look at other levels. Sometimes we'll do an immediate retest.
  • Sam: A bit off the subject, but, when I worked for the state ages ago, administering Dept. Of Labor training and job counseling programs and General Aptitude Testing being one of them, I often referred to those taking tests as testees. I was always corrected by some old woman who worked for me. She insisted I call them examinees, not testees. I think she was proper.
  • Gee, I wish I had learned to use those smiley faces!
  • Certain levels of pills, weed, opiates, etc. have been set as thresholds for a positive test. Samples below that threshold are negative and the employer is not informed of the trace amounts of a substance that might have been found. (This is the answer to the age old argument of a poppy seed on the breakfast roll) A dilute sample can run the individual being tested below the threshold and thus yield a negative test when the results should be positive.
  • We retest immediately for a diluted sample. If the second one comes back diluted for a pre-employment we don't hire the person. If it is for a current employee through our random drug testing policy we let the MRO review.
  • Sue2,
    In our policy, we have stated that a sample that comes back "too dilute" or "altered" is considered a positive test result unless the examinee can provide medical documentation to the MRO that explains this result. Of course, no one has ever been able to provide medical documentation.
  • For "medical documentation" would you accept the FDA's recommendation that we each drink a minimum of 8 8oz glasses of water per day? Anyone who follows that recommendation will return a dilute sample. For that reason I think the better option is an immediate retest . . . what Don D said!